Phrag. Red Baron

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
This was a 3" seedling gift from Russell (phrag guy on SlipperTalk), at a show in the spring of 2007. It was his own cross. The seedling grew like crazy and reached blooming size in one year. It was just opening it's first flower when the freeze hit in March 2008 and everything above the pot rim died. However, the roots and rhizome did not die. Within a month, it was sprouting a new growth from the leafless pot of roots. Now, 18 months later, it's finally tried again and this time, I got to see the flower! I'm quite pleased with the result. Thanks Russell!

8608.jpg

Orchids are a lot tougher than we give them credit for!

I do like the red color; kinda a raspberry red.

Thanks everybody. I'm very glad that this one revived. It looked so dead for weeks and weeks; but, then, I could see a little green nub sprouting from the rhizome and once it got going, it grew up super fast. It's really nice that after all this time and special attention, it turned out to be something rather special.

Yes, I like that! It's now calle Red Baron 'Phoenix', in honour of it's crimson colour and it's apparent immortality as seen by it's rebirth; rising from the "ashes" of frost-burn to live again.

That's quite the story, congrats on getting it to bloom; and it's a very beautiful red indeed.

Latest posts

Back