phrag Elizabeth Castle

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioland

Reaction score
phragECBigShowIMG_0602.jpg

Unbelievable! Do you grow semi-hydroponically?

e-spice

No I don't. I have experimented with a very small portion of plants in different mediums and variations of semihydro. I get best paph results with long narrow pots. An open medium with at least 40% organic potting medium. More open medium at the base or a small amount of ground up styrofoam. Not too open so I can still flood the pot. I am very against air cones. I have mush worse results with them. I am slowly repotting and tossing them. I have noticed some things do well in semi hydo. I add organic substance to the semi hydro if I do use it. I really get the best results with standard type open mix in a long narrow pot with no holes except at the bottom and sides of the bottom. Watering twice a week. That is tough for me so I have to adapt and get the best results with the time I have to water. So I sacrifice some results and close the medium slightly so I can water less. I think it would be ideal though if you have time to open the medium and correctly water twice a week but I don't have the time to do that consistently

I like the pot to be narrower at the base. Then the pots knock over easier but if you use enough inorganic heavy material this is not that much of a problem. This narrowing helps water back up to get a good watering. keeping a layer of more open mix at the bottom still allows good airation. This is my experience from lots of experimenting. When I repot this year all my paph will be potted this way. I am still unsure of phrags and the differences between them.

Latest posts

Back