Phrag Ainsworthii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To get back to the Ainsworthii/ Calurum question both of these plants are bred from sedeni x longifolium.

Calurum Rougieri is Calurum crossed back to sedenii. Could this be where all the colour comes from and is this now known as a regular Ainsworthii. The Rougieri was registered in 1892. Also mentioned ( and don't ask me why ) schlimi is also mentioned in the breeding. So what do we really have here???

Ed

Calurum crossed back with Sedenii is Phrag Lemoinierianum, which was registered in 1888. Ed, I'm unable to find any reference to a Phrag Calurum Rougieri.

The difference (as I understand it) between Ainsworthii and Calurum is that the latter uses a 'normal' longifolium in the making of it, whereas Ainsworthii uses Longifolium var roezlii.

The deep colour of mine may be due in part to growing it in my (very) cool section of the greenhouse. It is typically 13 to 15 degrees C in there. Seems to like it, hence the smile... :)

Don, If do a search in the RHS International Orchid Register you'll find Phrag Calurum Rougieri there. There are also a couple of other different names for that cross as well.

Hmm..! Thank you Ed & Ted..! Ok, so I am really puzzled. The RHS register shows Lemoinierianum as Calurum x Sedenii and registered in 1888. And it also shows Calurum Rougieri as Calurum x Sedenii and registered in 1892. So how can that be?

Now if you search on that cross of Calurum X Sedenii a couple more will pop up also. I think that part of the problem has been with orchids being renamed over the years. Some that had species status are now variants of something else. And the reverse is happening too.

The lateral sepals in slipper orchids have fused to form synsepal (also known as the ventral sepal) which is behind the pouch. In non-slipper orchids the sepals tend not to be fused together, and therefore usually jut out towards the sides. Most books which provide a drawing naming the parts, show a non-slipper orchid. But it is not a simple process to name the parts of a slipper orchid as an extrapolation from a drawing which refers to a non-slipper orchid. Hence the confusion.

Back