Paphiopedilum purpuratum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

paphjoint

Of average quality

but I'll get two flowers

Paphiopedilum%20purpuratum_evolt.jpg

Paphiopedilum%20purpuratum_sideview_evolt.jpg

This is my favorite Paph species. Thanks for sharing...

If anyone knows of a source of good purpuratum let me know. I'd have a couple dozen if I could.

I've never seen a double flowered Paphiopedilum purpuratum ! It can't be common

Averyanov documents double flowers as "occasional" in wild populations.

I think if this species was as common in cultivation as callosum then we would see multiple flower inflorescence about as frequently. However, this species seems to be much easier to kill than callosum.

Rick I've had much better results with purpuratum than with callosum's.

All single flowered paphs are capable of producing a 2nd flower it just need the right conditions - now what that would be is another question

Averyanov documents double flowers as "occasional" in wild populations.

I think if this species was as common in cultivation as callosum then we would see multiple flower inflorescence about as frequently. However, this species seems to be much easier to kill than callosum.

Well, I can second the idea that purpuratum is easier to kill than callosum...as for double flowers, I find that my barbatum types grown under lights (with the exception of sukhahulii) are at least as likely to produce double spikes as not....maybe its because of the extended hours of moderate light? Take care, Eric

Rick I've had much better results with purpuratum than with callosum's.

You stinker!

I've killed a bunch (only during winter). They seem to need really good consistent high humidity, but don't seem to picky about temps. But you've done well with sangii too, and I think they are comparable.

Latest posts

Back