Paph. Yellow Tiger

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swamprad

Memphis Orchid Society
Reaction score
This guy opened yesterday. Love those stripes!

2687108508_a8652ae096_b.jpg

The tag says Paph. Yellow Tiger (stonei x praestans), but when I checked at the RHS, they state that this cross is glanduliferum x platyphyllum! This led to much googling and reading on the web, and finding out that glanduliferum is synonymous with praestans, while platyphyllum is the new name for stonei var. latifolium. Interesting and confusing at the same time.

Mark,
Does your tag say stonei var. latifolium? I thought Paph. Yellow Tiger (stonei x praestans or glanduliferum) was the original two species used when this cross was made. If this is not the case, then what is the name of (stonei x praestans/ glanduliferum)?

If I recall correctly, at the time Norris Powell made this cross, he used Paph. stonei var. latifolium 'Ruth Kennedy' (Paph. platyphyllum).

It does lead one to wonder - if Paph. platyphyllum is truly recognized as a distinct species (and as far as I know, it is), and if Paph. (platyphyllum x glanduliferum) = Paph. Yellow Tiger, then wouldn't that open up Paph. (stonei x glanduliferum) to be registered with its own unique hybrid name?

Edit: After a bit more research and a browse through OrchidWiz, it appears that KEW has vacillated on the distinction of Paph. platyphyllum as a distinct species since recognizing it earlier. Maybe next week.

Last edited:
Back