Paph Startler 'Glace' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blooming on a small division. Hopefully, it will bloom without the color break next time.

PaphStartlerGlace.jpg

Blooming on a small division. Hopefully, it will bloom without the color break next time.

Hope you have better luck with that than I have. In the 22 years since acquiring this one, I have only been lucky enough to have it bloom without color break exactly once. Despite that, it's still one of the most gorgeous paphs on the bench.

Roy, I confess that I haven't paid real close attention to exact blooming times, but to the best of my recollection it usually blooms in December or January. In the old days I always used to put the bloom date on the tag, but somewhere along the line I got lazy. This year it decided not to bloom at all (yet).

I have 4 or 5 pots of Orchilla in different locations in the greenhouse and they seem to bloom at far more random times of the year - perhaps owing to the specific location of each plant within various micro-climates. I have bloomed Orchilla on many occasions with absolutely no color break. Based on your suggestion I'm going to have to pay more attention to WHEN they bloom and try to connect the blooming times with the color consistency. Maybe it's as simple as identifying the best blooming Orchilla and put Startler right next to it.

Dear Scott
Gee thats an oldie!! It had an AM/RHS way back. Without looking out our records I think it was 1970!!
It often gives colour breaks as do many of the Redstart lines like Orchilla.
My father-in-law Ronnie was very excited when they first flowered.
Never understood why Orchilla did not get an FCC here as it was way better than anything flowered previously.
At this point can I wish ALL Slipper talk buddies the best for 2009
Paul Phillips

Last edited by a moderator:
Great flowering even with the break Ross. Most non-white complexs that flower here in the Houston area, if they flower do so with a very deformed pouch plus or minus color break! I would be very happy with your results.

Hi Paul - I know you made MANY hybrids with Paph. Startler. Would love to know which ones were really remarkable and what you'd use today if making crosses with it.

Ross - I hope you have something wonderful to use the pollen on from your Paph. Startler. I have always thought the most remarkable thing about this flower in addition to the color and relatively nice shape is the sheen. I can't think of another red that "glows" the way Paph. Startler does.

Hi Paul - I know you made MANY hybrids with Paph. Startler. Would love to know which ones were really remarkable and what you'd use today if making crosses with it.

Ross - I hope you have something wonderful to use the pollen on from your Paph. Startler. I have always thought the most remarkable thing about this flower in addition to the color and relatively nice shape is the sheen. I can't think of another red that "glows" the way Paph. Startler does.

No plans at the moment other than to store the pollen for now.

Back