Paph barbatum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thelink

Reaction score
Paph barbatum

DSC075240.jpg

At least we know you water your plants:p
I have always been a bit confused how to tell the difference between callosum and barbatum. This is lovely. How big is it? (All of mine seem to be very small, not sure if that is a character of the species as opposed to callosum?)

At least we know you water your plants:p
I have always been a bit confused how to tell the difference between callosum and barbatum. This is lovely. How big is it? (All of mine seem to be very small, not sure if that is a character of the species as opposed to callosum?)

Yes callosum (at least the nominal variety from Vietnam) is bigger than barbatum.

Separating out callosum var. subleave from barbatum is another story. Sublaeve is sympatric with barbatum and also small. There really may not be a discreet distinction between barbatum and callosum. Just one big smear as you travel from Vietnam/Laos down into the Malay archipelago and on into Malaysia.

There is a lot of variation in color intensity of barbatum in Malaysia too, so just by looking at photos with no size reference or geographical providence, your guess can be as good as anyone's.

Back