North American Native Orchid Conference field day 2

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckiense

Debaser
Reaction score
Whew. What a day. Perhaps my best day of botanizing ever. I'll go ahead and get straight to the jackpot.

Corallorhiza bentleyi
Bentley's coralroot was astutely discovered by Virginia's own Stan Bentley and subsequently described by Freudenstein in 1999. Its closest relative is the mexican Corallorhiza involuta. This is one of North America's rarest orchids, only found in roughly 30 stations in a handful of counties in the Appalachian Mountains of southern West Virginia and Virginia. It has a wide variety of forms including all combinations of cleistogamous vs. chasmogamous, red lip vs. yellow lip, and striped lip vs. non striped lip. This individual appears to be a chasmogamous striped red lip plant.
Corbent1.jpg

Corbent2.jpg

Corallorhiza maculata
Cormac2.jpg

Cormac1.jpg

Platanthera sp. "pale frilly"
There are three populations of this potentially new species/variety/hybrid. These plants differ from P. grandiflora in that they are a paler pink, have frilly lateral petals, have a faintly striped dorsal, and have a far frillier labellum. Most importantly, however, these plants bloom after P. grandiflora is spent. These plants are in stable populations that reappear each year and successfully produce juveniles. The natural hybrid P. x keenanii is generally a mule and fails to reproduce and generally disappears after a few years. Clearly, further investigation is needed to determine the history of these plants, but Paul Martin Brown will be publishing this as a new species sometimes in the fall or winter.
PlatPF1.jpg

PlatPF3.jpg

Amazing-- the little Corallorhiza flowers are so small and inconspicuous, until you look at them closely. Nice photos of the plantanthera.

Fantastic shots! I've never heard of that Corallorhiza before. It obviously is very distinct. Was it mistaken to be just a form of C. maculata in the past? I would have guessed the Platenthera to be the natural cross of P. grandiflora and P. lacera. I wonder if this is just a group of hybrids that have stabilized into a reproducing population.

Neat stuff, thanks so much for sharing your experiences with us.

Amazing, is Platanthera psychodes a potential candidate for the "clearly not grandiflora" species?

Just when you think you are familiar with your local native species, up pops something new. I need to get re-aquainted with the natives crowd. I attended this conference back in 1995ish when it was held in Minnesota. There the big find was one of the little green flowered things. First record of it in Minnesota. For me the highlights were Cyp regina in habitat and a field with thousands of Platanthera praeclara near Tolstoy Manitoba. WOW.

Amazing, is Platanthera psychodes a potential candidate for the "clearly not grandiflora" species?

To my eye, it isn't. However, I don't know anything about P. psycodes bloom time in that area. The people responsible for finding these plants seem to agree that they are likely a stabilized hybrid involving some combination of grandiflora/psycodes/peramoena/lacera.

To my eye, it isn't. However, I don't know anything about P. psycodes bloom time in that area. The people responsible for finding these plants seem to agree that they are likely a stabilized hybrid involving some combination of grandiflora/psycodes/peramoena/lacera.

Sorry, for a moment I forgot who were the guides for your group. R. Brown and likely a few others in the group (was C. Sheviak there this time?) are the national authorities, and I do see the look of Platanthera lacera in the image.

I wish someone would start propagating this group from seed, they could become as popular as the Cyps.

Leo

Back