noisy visitor

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When we used to have a house in the Catskills, every year we would read about the throngs of hunters rushing up to have a big beer fest and shoot each other! :mad:

John, that is some scary stuff. I remember hearing about a little boy who was playing in his back yard(don't remember the town) and he was shot and killed by a hunter. Like you, in his own back yard!! People in the town, were obviously in an uproar about it and had a huge town meeting to discuss the issue. The hunters in the area wanted all parents to put orange vests on their kids before letting them go outside to play...can you imagine??

And don't forget the cougar that was shot and killed on the north side of Chicago earlier this summer!

Possum really don't taste very good, or so my Southern IL in-law tells me. I imagine cougar is a bit tough, and gamey, but the meat on skewers done Satay style it might be okay. Curry & or peanut sauce can cover a lot of off flavors.

My father enjoys telling about catching 'possums when he was a boy, and selling them to nearby families for a nickel. Some people considered them a delicacy, apparently. :D

I would probably eat squirrel stew, and definitely rabbit, but since possums eat things that look worse than they do (except when they get a tasty treat of pet food which actually is pretty bad sometimes, :meat meal: ), I will pass!

Another choice dish of my childhood was squirrel brains, scrambled with eggs. Highly nasty.

You know, in Hong Kong you used to be able to get monkey brains scooped out of the still struggling monkey. I wonder if you can still do that?

Hey Lois Little Frog
Should I break out my 1996 tale of dining in the jungle cafe in Malaysia? Monitor Lizard soup, BBQ sugar gliders & jungle rat, butterfish and that spicy simmering pot with the creatures with way too many legs. Best was the butterfish. All topped off with coconut palm blossom wine, a frothy, yeasty concoction that continued to ferment in your glass at the table. They brewed the batch up the night before. Tastes like a yeasty Pina Colada. A favorite of Malaysian fishermen. Dessert was Durian, what a stench when they cracked that 75 pound spiny melon open. Like sewer gas. But it tastes like honey-candied garlic. Really interesting.

Oops I guess I just did break out that tale.

(For a few seconds I felt bad about the sugar gliders, but they were really tasty, and I had no control over the menu. Most of what I ate I found out the names of only after I had eaten. My translator was not at the same table with me.)

Well....... li'l frog did you think it could get worse??? These guys are trying to out do one another ...... male hormones, I guess!

Latest posts

Back