My first Phrag - Olaf Gruss

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myxodex

Reaction score
I got this Phrag Olaf Gruss as a freebie from Ratcliffe's about 2 years ago when buying some Paphs.

olaffgrussfm7.jpg

Cheers,
Tim

:clap::clap:I like Olaf, I have the flavum. What's the plant size like on yours?

Hmm ... I hesitated to say it in my first post, to see if someone else would .... this doesn't look like Olaf Gruss (bess. x pearci) to me. I had one of my flavums bloom this summer & though it was deformed, it didn't look like this. Obviously the color on mine is going to be different but the shape was different. What do you think????

I was wondering the same thing. That's probably why it's the nicest Olaf Gruss I've ever seen - because it isn't!

Ok , firstly the plant is a bit bigger than I expected ... longest leaf at (18 inches) but others 14 - 15in and about 1 inch wide at most. I have seen others that look a bit like this when I googled to see what to expect. As for the colour it is true (given afternoon light) ... and not my camera which tends to over saturate reds but my partner Brigitt's who took this pic. The flowers have varied a bit in colour ... but also change with time in that the yellow is very pale almost dirty creamy green when they first open and then the yellow intensifies over the first week as the bloom matures. I expect that this was crossed by Ratcliffes (UK) and they had excess and so were giving them away ... cunning plan to get Paph growers into Phrags. Also we have had a very poor summer here this side of the pond ... cool, humid and gloomy ... I wonder if this has deepened the colour ?

Your right Tim, I googled pics of Olaf & yours looks like them! :( Maybe it's I that has a mistagged Olaf! Didn't mean to start an uproar! Members here have uncovered mislabeled plants.

Back