Masdevallias

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticshaun

Reaction score
A few of my Madevallias actually blooming at the same time for once. All grown under lights.
Masd. Mardi Gras
IMG_1351.jpg

Masd. Alicia
IMG_12382.jpg

Masd. Alicia, Goldfinch, Mardi Gras and princeps
IMG_13442.jpg

Shaun

Very nice, they are beautiful!

I have coddled my two masdevallias through the summer (indoors under lights of course, next to an a/c vent, with a humidifier going to counteract the dryness of the a/c, and with daily mistings) and, though they probably both hate me, I do have hopes for later in the year...

I have a Masdevallia schroederiana coming from Troy Meyers.......I am really hoping I can refrain from killing it......LOL.......the temp range according to the donor is 60-83 which is one reason I thought I might be able to keep it alive

A few of my Madevallias actually blooming at the same time for once. All grown under lights.
Masd. Mardi Gras
IMG_1351.jpg

Masd. Alicia
IMG_12382.jpg

Masd. Alicia, Goldfinch, Mardi Gras and princeps
IMG_13442.jpg

Shaun

Shaun,

Can you share any growing tips for growing masdevallias indoors? I have two that grow and try to bloom, but always seem to blast their buds. I tried growing outdoors in the greenhouse, but the temps just get plain too hot for them!!

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dave

Beautiful. I have three two of which are looking very bad. They are all supposed to be heat tolerant but so far only the Snow Cone seems to truly doing well. I like the looks of your Mardi Gras and with that name it ought to be heat tolerant. What is its parentage?

We are having temps outside above 30 degrees C (86 degrees F) but my grow room in the basement summer max 26 degrees C (78 F), min 18 C (65 F). In the spring and fall when I don't heat the house the basement can cool off to 13 C (55 F). I grow my Masdevallias in a open tank and have a fog generator in a bowl below them to produce some higher humidity throughout the day with fans for circulation.

Masd. Alicia = glandulosa x guttulata (flowers often)[I'm still not sure about the ID on this one, I was expecting it to be shorter]
Masd. Mardi Gras = Copper Angel x glandulosa (I think this one needs to be cooler despite the glandulosa influence, it doesn't flower often)
Masd. Goldfinch = constricta x triangularis (free flowering and easy for me)
Masd. princeps (intermediate temps, sequential flowers)

Not pictured:
Masd. caloptera (cool grower, multi-flowered, scented, ID uncertain)
Masd. infracta (not flowered)
Masd. Tuakau Candy (yungasensis x trianglularis, not flowered)

If I could I would add continous fog and more air movement.

Shaun

Back