kolopakingii var. topperi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul

Reaction score
only five flowers, hope a better bloom next time

P1150902.JPG

Is it just me or is that very close to alba. I know topperi is greener but this is alot more than usual. The albas came from sib crosses. I bet you could get some from a selfing.

Topperi can be smaller but not in all cases. I have seen topoeri as big as regular kolo with a 5 foot leaf span and leaf width of almost 6in. I have also seen regular kolo mature with 24 in Ls. The main difference seems to be that topperi is more green and reg kolo is straw-yellow and brownish-maroon. Some say they are different colonies but I seem to think topperi had some albinos mixed in and now all carry that gene. Just my thoughts.

Your plant is fantastic. Mine has bloomed twice in the last 3 mos and each time with the most screwed up, distorted flowers. It must of been one of the wienie plants from a selfing.

Last edited:
Topperi can be smaller but not in all cases. I have seen topoeri as big as regular kolo with a 5 foot leaf span and leaf width of almost 6in. I have also seen regular kolo mature with 24 in Ls. The main difference seems to be that topperi is more green and reg kolo is straw-yellow and brownish-maroon. Some say they are different colonies but I seem to think topperi had some albinos mixed in and now all carry that gene. Just my thoughts.

yes, topperi is some kind of "semi-album" kolo
plant is about 85cm wide, but all my plants are quite compact. normally, it can be almost twice bigger. :D

Very nice example of the greenish version, Paul!

To me, the proposed difference between kolopakingii and (var.) topperi is as significant as the difference between roth Mont Millais and roth Rex. One has larger flowers and shows a different intensity of colour. So what?

Very nice example of the greenish version, Paul!

To me, the proposed difference between kolopakingii and (var.) topperi is as significant as the difference between roth Mont Millais and roth Rex. One has larger flowers and shows a different intensity of colour. So what?

It is just informative to know where the distinction came in and what would pass for one or the other. At least now I can look at them from a colour point of veiw as opposed to a plant size difference as I always did in the past

And I will look at them as different species. All of the collected plants of topper and kolo I have seen are distinctly different. Topperi grows up out of its medium, almost like phrag besseae, to the extent that when new growths are maturing the plant needs to be sunk a few inches deeper. The kolos do not share this characteristic. I expect that many if not most plants in the trade are a mix of the species and not reliable examples of the species.

And I will look at them as different species. All of the collected plants of topper and kolo I have seen are distinctly different. Topperi grows up out of its medium, almost like phrag besseae, to the extent that when new growths are maturing the plant needs to be sunk a few inches deeper. The kolos do not share this characteristic. I expect that many if not most plants in the trade are a mix of the species and not reliable examples of the species.
VERY interesting! Have not heard that before, have to remember that! I wonder if that's a trait topperi passed on to it's hybrids?

Back