Kiyomizu-tera, the pure water temple

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
One of the most famous temples in Kyoto is Kiyomizu-dera, the pure water temple. It is very old, founded over 1000 years ago, but the buildings you see today are 376 years old. It was very busy the day we went.

The main entrance with the gatehouse and pagoda at the rear:

KiyomizuFNTSM.jpg

Some rooftops of lesser buildings and the mountain beyond:

KiyomizuRoofsSM.jpg

There are two main halls with verandas, both suspended over the surrounding forest. Incredibly no nails were used in constructing these colossal structures. Here is the smaller of the two main halls.

KiyomizuSMBTSM.jpg

And the larger hall and veranda. Until recently there was a practice of "taking the plunge off the stage" at this spot. The idea was that if you survived, you'd get a blessing. The majority of people survived the ordeal (a 42 foot drop!), but nowadays it is forbidden. Remarkably, such traditions still exist throughout Japan even today, and several people are killed each year.

KiyomizuMBSM.jpg

The woodwork and elaborate painting was really beautiful on some of the buildings:

KiyomizuMoreDetail2SM.jpg

Here's a cool lantern:

KiyomizuLTNSM.jpg

Another tradition at this temple is drinking the water from a small waterfall, the same waterfall that gives this temple its name. It is divided into three separate spouts, each one giving the drinker a specific gift - wisdom, health, and long-life. I missed my shot and just had a beer.

KiyomizuFOUNT.jpg

The huge halls and verandas are supported by an amazing labyrinth of beams and pilings. Again, no nails were used, it is all traditional Japanese tongue and groove technology. Amazing! The flowers are Lycoris radiata.

KiyomizuBSSM.jpg

KiyomizuBSHGSM.jpg

We're almost done with the tour...just one restaurant and two temples to go!!!

Back