King Arthur Lensings

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my Paph King Arthur "Lensings" that I got last year from Van Rooyen's Orchids. It was ravaged by some insects so the leaves are not prety... but the flower has a certain charm.

Without flash:
King_Arthur.jpg

With flash:
King_Arthurflash.jpg

It is currently on display in my bathroom. It sits on top of the toilet. :p

I'm organizing some godefroydae pollen (because niveum isn't available to me) to put onto the plant to try breed for something with better shape and pastel hues in the F1. For the F2 the goal is to get the rich color back and maintain a rounded shape.

Thanks for the comments. I like the flower presentation. The tall flower is totally unsupported. The smaller flower is supported only because it would then twisted into the leaves. It has nice presentation and its elegance really impresses me.

Nice antique Tyrone. Your breeding goals sound like you're trying to recreate complex hybrids from the gound up. Why? Do you think there will be a market for something like that?

Nice antique Tyrone. Your breeding goals sound like you're trying to recreate complex hybrids from the gound up. Why? Do you think there will be a market for something like that?

Mostly fun, and yes, there would be a market for colorful slippers at our April/May show---mostly novices buying.

I think the potential of these old antiques is untapped and many interesting new hybrids could be created by stepping back and making a good cross with modern more selected cultivars (of for example, godefroydae). When many of these antiques were being used for breeding the technology to germinate lots of seed and raise the seed wasn't very well developed. Also, the selection of the progenywas very much in favour of round bulldog type flowers. Who knows what is lurking in the genetics of these old plants?

I can choose to breed with modern complexes and produce plants which are either dogs (crippled by high substance inbreeding) or that look exactly like the top-quality stuff other people are producing. Or, I can do something totally different and produce unique plants. The latter sounds more exciting.

Some time ago I was given a copy of a Charlesworth nursery list (a very treasured item which I am extemely honoured to have recieved). I had a vision of trying to collect a comprehensive collection of the Paphs on offer at the turn of the last century. Unfortunately I fear that time is not in my favour, but do believe that someone should try and assemble a collection of these early plants, ....... just because! Go for it Tyrone!
By the way your pollen is on its way. Sorry for the delay, but my end april was a shambles with the game capture looming on the farm.

Back