Hymenorchis javanica

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naoki

Reaction score
This species is a mini-jewel. It is originally from Ooi Leng Sun, but the person whom I bought it from accidentally shipped it via USPS First Class, so it travelled to Alaska by a boat. Fresh import + 16 days of domestic travel stressed out the plant, and it took 3.5 years to bloom (a photo of the original condition is in the blog). I wasn't too sure if it would recover, so I'm very happy to see the flowers!

Link to my Orchid Borealis blog post about this plant.

Hymenorchis javanica on Flickr

I really like this. Would you please share your culture tips? Great save!

Wendy, it is supposed to be an intermediate grower (900-1000m), but I've been growing it at a cooler end; max/min daily temperature of 29/18C (84/65F) in the summer and 21/13C (70/55F) in the winter. I'm giving Phalaenopsis level light (about 100 µmol m-2 s-1), but I think that it would be happier with more light. It gets high humidity (around 80%), and I water once every other day (mounted on a cedar shingle with a bit of sphagnum moss). It isn't a faster grower in my condition, but it grows steadily.

A stunning bloom I think these purest of whites are just wow, they look like crystal congrats.

Beautiful. I love the crystalline flowers. Interesting foliage as well. I wonder what the hairs are for? Is it an Angraecoid?

Latest posts

Back