Floods, Landslides, and Mud alla Kyushu

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Starting midday July 24 and ending around three days later, the Fukuoka area received flooding rains that will go down in the books as some of the most extreme recorded to date. In Fukuoka City proper, totals equalled or exceeded 40 cm, or about 16 inches. The valley I live in got considerably more, up to 100 cm (around 40 inches) and left in its wake a path of destruction.

I went out for a ride today to see what the flood damage was. Several areas were inaccessible due to road wash outs and landslides. Here are a few shots I managed to get.

The valley I live on the edge of has a fairly large river with numerous, but small tributary streams. Here is one that overran its banks and flooded out the street and nearby fields just the day before. Even today, the water level was around 2 meters above normal. Usually this little creek is no more than a trickle a few centimeters deep:

CreekMansionEki.jpg

One of the worst problems in Japan with rain events like this is landslides. Here is a typical one on a hillside adjacent to a small reservoir. Such slides absolutely destroy everything in their path and that is the main reason why there are few houses in the mountains:

Landslide.jpg

Here is the reservoir all muddied from the intense erosion upstream. The water is usually blue-green:

MuddyRes.jpg

A beautiful, gentle creek with lovely rapids and waterfalls feeds the reservoir. Today, part of the creek is now blocked with a landslide that took a large patch of moso bamboo directly into the center of it.

BambooSlide.jpg

Just upstream from the last shot is a beautiful triple cascade waterfall alongside a shrine. Usually the plunge pool is a nice place to swim and the fall is mellow enough such that you can sit directly in it without getting washed off. Today it was a different scene. The little rock beach had been severely eroded away and good sized trees littered the watercourse. What was impressive was that their bark had been nearly completely scraped off from the power of the water. A day earlier, the water was much higher than pictured here, at least by a meter. Must have been scary at that time!

WaterFallFLD.jpg

I don't think this flood was a record, but it was probably one of the worst this valley has seen historically. Only two people were killed when a landslide took out their home. Today is cool, like early autumn, and that is supposed to continue on tomorrow. Yes, we are having a strange summer so far.

I don't care what anyone says about cycles or previous Ice ages past, man is effecting the atmosphere, fear it, change the effect, or else...

What a beautiful country. Even with the obvious destruction it is beautiful. Keep safe.

I don't care what anyone says about cycles or previous Ice ages past, man is effecting the atmosphere, fear it, change the effect, or else...

I don't think we can blame this on Godzilla either!

Did you hear the one about "rain on snow" in the arctic? http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=111109436 In 2004 apparently, they got rain instead of snow, the rain iced up under the snow and prevented musk ox from getting to buried food. I the estimate of starved to death musk ox in that region was 20,000! As the Alaskan weather expert explained, "global warming isn't causing palm trees to start sprouting in Fairbanks, it's just mixing things up".

I agree Eric

I agree with Eric and Rick!!!! However Japan is a great country and I hope to visit it one day...:D

OMG!!!! did your outside plants/orchids get any harm? Jean

Nah Jean, I live on a hill and luckily it didn't fall down! With the intense humidity and nearly constant rain there has been an increase in fungal rot with some plants, and especially flowers. My Neos were completely protected from the rain and yet many flowers yellowed very quickly this year - bummer.

Japan is still a pretty place, but I can only imagine its beauty a couple hundred years ago before it became industrialized. Nowadays you have to put up with endless electrical towers lacing the mountains, and an unabashed, liberal use of bare concrete. It takes some getting used to.

Latest posts

Back