Dianthum "twisty top"

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Here's my dianthum. Originally purchased as a parishii seedling, I've been abusing it since 2003. Low K and basket culture are slowly bringing it back. This is only the second time its bloomed successfully. The dorsals are highly reflexed, but the flowers are pretty big (about 13 cm across). This time with 3 flowers too. I like the purplish brown color, and the purple hairs behind the staminode.

dianthumflowerspike.jpg

dianthumflowerA.jpg

dianthumflowerB.jpg

Very nice size to that one. I'm surprised that Oak Hill didn't know they were propagating dianthum and not parishii.

Yup. Only thing I can think of is that dianthum was still considered a variety of parrishii (in some circles at least) in the late 1990's and the tag didn't reflect the varietal status.

I have another dianthum from Than Ngyun that I hope blooms soon. I picked it up a year or so ago, and its been growing great.

I wonder why the dorsal bends backward like it does. Most slippers are constructed to keep water out of the pouch.

This one is more twisted than most of the in situ flowers I've seen pics for. But even then, its a tall narrow dorsal with a little parasol on top. Not much to block any significant rain.

In Vietnam the blooming season for this species starts after the peak of the rainy season and extends into the dry season. So maybe the combination of being on the ground under the canopy, and open during dryer times doesn't require the pouch to be covered.:confused:

Wow, large flowers yes!!!! Jean

(Looks as if I should repot mine into a basket because it is no more willing to bloom in its pot :))

Interesting Rick. I had one do the same thing on its first blooming the second time only a slight twist with no backward reflexing. Maybe, now that it is more at home in the basket it will bloom as expected.

Back