Clubmosses of southern Asia

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
I've always admired the epiphytic clubmosses of southeast Asia, and recently got a few to satisfy my curiosity. Since I grow staghorn ferns pretty well, I felt these guys ought to have a chance here too. Winter will be a test though. I know I'll have to keep them above freezing and on the dry side - tough to do without a greenhouse.

The most stunning species is this Huperzia goebellii, the so called blue lycopodium. The foliage looks rather stiff, but in fact is quite supple. Probably the species with the longest foliage - as you can see it is nearly as long as me (I'm 171 cm).

HGoebelii.jpg

A much smaller plant is this Philippine species, H. salvinioides. Top to bottom it is just about 30 cm.

HSalvinioides.jpg

And finally the common one, H. squarrosa. This is supposed to be the most tolerant and easy to grow species.

HSquarrosa.jpg

Being epiphytes from wet forests, they like a moist compost, but with perfect drainage. High humidity is also preferred and bright light, but no sun. They've been planted into plastic pots with the bottoms cut out with the plant suspending below. This allows the stems to hang naturally without the possibility of breakage during windstorms and also allows for easy watering from above. I hope they like their new home.

Last edited:
looks groovy but i can't understand what you mean about how you potted them.
if it's convenient, would you please post a photo?

Interesting flora, Tom. The H. squarrosa looks very similar to the plants that grow up from the floor of our pond and float on the surface of the water. Pretty, but it becomes a nuisance because it grows so fast.

Interesting... I like lycos too, but don't grow any.. :p You sure have some variety, Tom.. :D

Brian, I think Tom meant he's growing them upside down, like paraphalaenopsis, bottoms up... :p I grow dendrobium anosmum like that too.. Prevents the canes breaking when they get too long and heavy..

I'm glad you all like them. They are really cool in person.

looks groovy but i can't understand what you mean about how you potted them.
if it's convenient, would you please post a photo?

Just my messed up way of describing it. I cut the bottom out of a a strong plastic pot, inserted the plant from below and secured it with bracing, and put the compost in from the top. The whole thing is hung like a normal hanging pot. Will post a pic soon.

Why? is your house wet and freezing?! Or are they too big to be houseplants?

Well, they are from truly tropical climates and yes, my house does get cold. Any given day in January ranges between 40-45 F, sometimes colder. And yes, they are pretty darn big houseplants! I'm thinking of making a pseudo greenhouse for them and some of my other tropical stuff to bump the temperature a bit plus keep the humidity up.

Brian, I think Tom meant he's growing them upside down, like paraphalaenopsis, bottoms up... :p I grow dendrobium anosmum like that too.. Prevents the canes breaking when they get too long and heavy..

You are so right! No other easy way to grow them except as a mount, but then you still have to hang them away from a wall.

Well, they are from truly tropical climates and yes, my house does get cold. Any given day in January ranges between 40-45 F, sometimes colder.

I have an idea, I exchange my Big dendrobium kingianum hybrids and my parvies to you and you send me your tropical plants to relax in my 75+ F apartment this winter! :D

I am impressed on how such large plants arrived at your home unblemished. They look perfect.
My other half is a fan of staghorns. Wish I could grow them.

Latest posts

Back