• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

blue sticky cards?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I read in an article about home and garden pests, specifically about different mealybugs, that male mealybugs can fly and can be trapped on blue sticky cards. I have yellow ones that work well for other bugs..

does anyone in north america have some blue sticky cards that they would be interested in trading or selling to me? I only need a few so don't really want to order a whole package from a nursery company

thanks in advance

Heard that too. haven't seen them. But, you can buy the sticky crap and apply it to a blue plastic plate... so I heard. I think I've seen people use petroleum jelly for the coating too??? Obviously, running on poor memories.

-Ernie

(!) very simple! good idea... thank you very much

dot, I just read online that u of california did a test and found that hot pink sticky cards were even more effective than blue ones for attracting thrip. I might be able to spray some bright (but not shiny) plastic with some spray photo mounting adhesive and hopefully nab some tiny mealy b!!!!!ds (neem is next). reading other posts on catching deer flies, plant pests and such, things like oil, honey, spray adhesive, tanglefoot and any other sticky substance can work. if it isn't water-resistant then re-application would be necessary

I'm sure you could get a container of Tangletrap and smear it on a blue card...I once smeared it on the branches of a bush in front of my house because people were leaving beer bottles in it (I originally considered fish hooks tied to the branches...)...haven't gotten a bottle since..........

:rollhappy:

ditto! hey eric (m.), my supervisor went fishing off nj coast last week and gave me a big bag of frozen bluefish fillets (a lot). I found your recipe on the favorite recipes thread, but I don't know what 'choriza' is in the recipe. any other bluefish recipes besides that one? only problem is that they are all in one bag, and I'll have to thaw a *lot out to cook them, so will likely have to re-freeze some of what was cooked

thanks

thanks for the link; interesting variations on chorizo. I looked back and eric's original bluefish areganata didn't include chorizo so I guess I don't have to mail order it to make the recipe...

hmmm, the links I found for bluefish oreganata say 'do not freeze bluefish, use fresh'... so I wonder if that big bag of fish is garbage

Bluefish can be really strong if it is not prepared properly immediately after it's landed.

You want a good, spicy seafood recipe with chorizo?

• In a deep, coverable pan, saute 6 cloves of fresh garlic (sliced thin), and a chopped, medium Vidalia onion in about 6 tablespoons of olive oil.
  • Once the onions are clear, add 1/4 lb each of chorizo and ham, cut into approximately 1/4" cubes.
  • When they are good and hot, put 50 washed, live little neck clams (Wegmans usually has some really good ones) in the pan, cover it and wait for all of the clams to open. (I usually stir them around a time or two, making sure they all get in the liquid a bit.)
  • Ladle into bowls, and provide a good stick of Italian bread to soak up the broth.

My wife and I can kill the 50 clams with ease. She, my son and I did 150 a few weeks ago.

hmmmmm (!) yes I fit into the 'eat bushels of clams' category whenever I can, though only able to rarely (smile). thanks for the recipe and the tip about the bluefish. I found online that you have to bleed and ice it right away after landing, also have to take out the center dark meat. I can't tell since they're frozen what has been done to them. could they be made into some sort of spicy fish stew? also, do you know if wegmans has chorizo? there are one or two in the syracuse area and one in binghamton, but not in utica

Yes, I use chorizo in a lot of my recipes, but not bluefish oreganata....I would suggest eating those bluefish fillets immediately...bluefish does not freeze well, unless its vacuum sealed. If it is frozen for less than 2 weeks, it should be OK...if it was frozen while it was absolutely fresh. Bluefish is either one of the finest eating fish or one of the worst, depending on both where its caught and how its handled. First, it has to be as fresh as possible, and cleaned as soon after death as possible. Next, it has to be caught in a really clean area, with a variety of prey species for bluefish to feed on. I've caught bluefish in Jamaica Bay (in NYC) that tasted like crap even when it was impeccably fresh. But all the bluefish I catch out on the North Fork of LI taste fantastic, even the huge ones. i think the ones in NYC feed mainly on menhaden, an oily stinky baitfish...while the eastern LI fish feed on loads of other things like squid and butterfish, in addition to menhaden.

Charles,

I have found two brands of chorizo at our local Wegmans (only been in this area about a year), a fresh one and a smoked one in the deli, which I prefer.

Bluefish is either one of the finest eating fish or one of the worst, depending on both where its caught and how its handled. I've caught bluefish in Jamaica Bay (in NYC) that tasted like crap even when it was impeccably fresh. But all the bluefish I catch out on the North Fork of LI taste fantastic, even the huge ones. i think the ones in NYC feed mainly on menhaden, an oily stinky baitfish...while the eastern LI fish feed on loads of other things like squid and butterfish, in addition to menhaden.

I have read the same of striped bass. The fish within Delaware Bay are supposed to be superior for consumption vs. the same out of the Raritan Bay.
Can't personally weigh in on this, as I don't eat my fleshy harvests.
From sticky tape- fishing,hehehe.

A Palestinian friend told me a bout a recipe where you soak teh bluefish in milk and mustard bath? Definitely not kosher!

hmm, I remember briefly seeing a search result that had bluefish soaking in buttermilk... but the bag is so huge I may have to invite everyone here to eat it all

thanks ray, I found two brands searching their site online; goya and another

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back