Arisaema kiushianum - Cobra Lily

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parvi_17

Reaction score
For those of you who haven't seen my past Arisaema posts, aroids are my second-favorite group of plants, after orchids. Arisaema is my favorite genus of aroids. If you are familiar with the North American wildflower Jack-in-the-pulpit (Arisaema triphyllum) then you have seen one before.

Most Arisaema species come from Asia though, and that's where the most incredible ones can be found. This is Arisaema kiushianum, a native of Japan (Kyushu and Honshu). It is the first of my handful of species to bloom this year. Because the majority of Arisaemas are not hardy in my area, I grow them in pots and refrigerate them for the winter.

The spadix (the long, thread-like thing shown in the second picture) is 7 inches (18cm) long.

The leaves of these plants are beautiful. The petiole on this plant's leaf is about 18" (45cm) long and has extended almost horizontally from the base of the plant, toward the light source. The third photo shows the leaf, with the flower in the background.

:clap: :drool: Oh dear, I might have to buy a little refrigerator!
Definitely worthwhile! Good job!

It's interesting cause a North America carnivorous plant species, darlingtonia californica shares the same name, Cobra Lily.

Cool plant though!

It's interesting cause a North America carnivorous plant species, darlingtonia californica shares the same name, Cobra Lily.

Cool plant though!

Well you know the way it goes with common names - I've heard three for this plant: cobra lily, dragonroot and dragon arum. I've also heard variations on these like Japanese dragon arum. I only picked "cobra lily" for this thread because to me, the spadix looks like a long snake's tongue, and the sides of the spathe look like a cobra's head.

And for Darlingtonia californica I've also heard California pitcher plant. That's why Latin names are better - there is (generally) less confusion (though clearly we have some confusion in the orchid world!).

Latest posts

Back