Are Maxilaria known for selfing?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score

A week or so ago my black Max variabilis dropped most of its flowers, but these two. Which look like they are developing capsules.

I didn't pollinate them, and there hasn't been a lot of insect activity going on. I don't have much in the way of Maxilaria in my collection so just wondering if this spontaneous selfing is normal.

It only takes one insect to pollinate a flower. Might be a selfing, but who knows?

Did you have any other Maxillarias open at the time? Or orchids that would cross with it?

I only have one other Maxi (tenufolia) and it's not in bloom.

Most of my non slipper species are Asian. I have an Oncidium flexuosum, and a bitty Lockhartia in bloom. There were about 10 open flowers on the Maxi that all dropped within a few days, and that's when I noticed that the two that hadn't dropped still had green ovaries that were somewhat enlarged. It's not impossible that some small insect bounced around in all these flowers and managed to pollinate these two, but I just haven't seen any flying insects in the GH (gnats, flies, moths, or bees) in the last month or so.

I posted a pic of a capsule on a Phal equestris that I also did not pollinate, but within that month I did see a big bumble bee crashing around in those flowers, and several did have pollen removed.

Back