Aquarium water scale/stain removal

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

goldenrose

HELP! I'm making this 70 gallon aquarium into my new orchidarium. Can you identify my problem?
scale004.jpg

I have used straight vinegar, Soft Scrub with bleach, The Works toilet bowl cleaner, a glass cleaner for glass fireplace inserts, a scale cleaner for ice machines (phosphoric acid) & made a paste of borax. I'm talking multiple uses of each product before moving on to the next & even propping up a wet chammy on the water stain area, then pouring the product on the glass, runs to the chamy & remains in contact for as long as overnight. It's slightly improved but NOTHING seems to be taking it off, any suggestions?

A wet razor blade, the single edge type w/ the reinforced back.
Maybe some acetone.

How about the stuff that you clean glass stove tops with (also usually comes with a razor blade type scraper)? Haven't tried this myself. Straight vinegar usually works for me on the scale that forms from our hard water.

Have been using/trying the wet razor blade on & off doesn't seem to do any good. Have done the acetone several times now, quite the improvement maybe a few more will do it! Thanks Clark! I could live with it at this stage but sure would be nice to eliminate it all together!

It is possible that the glass is actually etched by the minerals or whatever was present. If this is the case, it won't come off. I would suspect this is the case if a razor blade doesn't work.

Susan

You could try a pumice stone, but it might scratch the glass if you're not careful. I would suggest living with it, otherwise.

Try some CLR (available at a grocery store) and an Scrubbie and/or single-edge razor blade.

CLR is an acid product for getting rid of lime scale in bathrooms.

Try some CLR (available at a grocery store) and an Scrubbie and/or single-edge razor blade.

CLR is an acid product for getting rid of lime scale in bathrooms.

Oops - left out a few - CLR was one, industrial Pro strength glass cleaner was another & Mother's Power Metal polish & none of those worked either!:(
I'm determined to beat this monster!:mad:

You could try a pumice stone, but it might scratch the glass if you're not careful. I would suggest living with it, otherwise.
I've already scratched the glass, first with the glass hearth cleaner & then I think the razor blades added some. The Mother's polish is supposed to be good at filling in scratches. I'll see!

I would think CLR would work. Put tank on it's side and let CLR sit on the deposit...repeat a few times. I have removed tough hard water deposits with it.

It is possible that the glass is actually etched by the minerals or whatever was present. If this is the case, it won't come off. I would suspect this is the case if a razor blade doesn't work.

Susan
That was my thought also, Susan. If this is the case, nothing will take it off (that I know of).

It is possible that the glass is actually etched by the minerals or whatever was present. If this is the case, it won't come off. I would suspect this is the case if a razor blade doesn't work.Susan

That was my thought also, Susan. If this is the case, nothing will take it off (that I know of).
I'm beginning to think that's the case. The acetone has helped enough that I could live with it if that's as good as it gets.

I would think CLR would work. Put tank on it's side and let CLR sit on the deposit...repeat a few times. I have removed tough hard water deposits with it.
Not possible - 70 gallon = 48" x 20" x 20' mounted to a cabinet. It was orginally an old wet/dry saltwater set up with a hole drilled in the bottom of the tank. I wanted a water feature in the orchardairum so I don't want to break the silicone seal, it was a bit difficult the first time around & seeing this is taking much looonger than anticipated, I want it done!

I had all the salt built at the front and sides glass surfaces with this!!! I was really easy.. Maybe it is necessary to "wet" the area so that they are more valnerable to the razor...heheh!!

Attachments

• P171109_01.59.JPG
    P171109_01.59.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 4
The final report - it's 98% gone! and most of the scratches! The acetone had the most effect. My husband thought just a regular paste wax could work, so when I was at work he tried it. There was a slight film, he didn't get it all, but I commented how much better it was looking, as I wiped the film ..... :rollhappy::rollhappy:he spilled the beans & confessed! :rollhappy:

I was surprised how quick it filled up, time for the companion plants to find a new home!:p
and my husband got me a $100 gift certificate at J & L! Like Dot said he's a gem!

Latest posts

Back