Porroglossum josea

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chicago Chad

Reaction score
This miniature has roughly 2" leaves, 12" spikes and 1 1/2" flowers. It is not a Porroglossum that I see that often. The plant is grown damp in a clay pot with loose Sphagnum. These pics are with the lip open showing the black marking. The flower snaps shut when attracting and temporarily trapping an insect, at which point the black mark is not visible. The plant is a successive bloomer. There are at least two color varieties.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Great photography:clap:

This is a very interesting genus. I wish they were big enough to appreciate without a magnifying glass.:eek:

Thanks Rick. I am a better grower than photographer. I have a simple point and shoot so I spend a lot of time taking pics, but keeping only a few.

This one is tricky with the way the coloration changes with the light from behind.

most of my Pleuro's and such get the same treatment.

terrarium grown
winter lows around 55-60F
summer highs around 82F
diurnal range of 12F or more
humidity always above 80%
distilled water with K Lite at 50PPM TDS until acclimated, then increased
if I pot them, which this is, I pot LOOSELY!
misted twice a day
12" under 2FT T5 lights
constant air movement

It took some figuring out at first, but I feel I have it down the best I can without an air cooling unit, which is the next (rather expensive step) for me as a terrarium grower. I will post some pics of my tanks in a future thread.

Once they are setup, they take about 5 minutes of maintenance a day. Once a week the plants are taken out and inspected in detail.

terrariums

Eric and others-
I have and continue to try and create the most optimal environments for my plants. I have an itemized list of costs, materials and retailers, if anyone is interested. If I can help save them either time or money I am more than happy to. I also could learn some things myself, if other members have similar interests and experience.

Why not Post the info here? I tried previously with a 55 Gal diamond shaped terrarium, w/ Actinic lights, ultrasonic fogger, fans, and a pump making a little waterfall. Unfortunately, I kept the lid on and steamed the plants, a really good variety of plants from J&L, Ecuagenera, and Orchideas de Valle! :(. Next time I will let the system breath more by keeping an open lid and stay cooler by using LED lighting.

Back