Cypripedium parviflorum var. pubescens year 2010

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartie2000

Reaction score
This year I have 9 buds on this plant with 11 growths and it is the plant's fourth blooming. It almost doubled in size compared to last year. I wish paphs grew this fast! I think it multipled so fast because it gets direct sunlight for half the day. Cypripediums grown in shade have been failures for me.

For now it is buds, but soon I will update this thread.

Last year my dad chopped down a liliac tree :mad: without asking anyone and now the area gets less shade than before. It is 3pm and there is some western sunlight from the back, which could continue till the evening. It will now get more light than it needs now because of the tree removal from behind. Hopefully in July it won't get leaf burn, as you can see there is not too much vegetation around it. (I may have to go back and purchase ornamental grasses or something when it is garden centre clearance. I spent too much on garden plants this year already)

The plant was purchased as a two stem plant. This fall I will probably repot into a larger diameter pot and spit the plant into two to give it more room to multiply. It is growing in a plastic pot sunken into the ground.

4669658267_0dfe781a01_b.jpg

last years thread : http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12561

thanks for the info Tom

:D either I purchase ornamental grasses, or I get another cypripedium this June if society members make divisions...hmmm the decision is obvious

Very awesome Fren! Do you know if most cyps are at this stage right now across your area? Just wondering what the wild ones are like further to the west.

Very awesome Fren! Do you know if most cyps are at this stage right now across your area? Just wondering what the wild ones are like further to the west.

The guy in our local society who leads our annual "Orchid Safari" says they're not ready to the west of Calgary yet; we're hoping to go out June 13th...maybe the stuff west of Edmonton is further ahead of us.

Forgot to say how beautiful your cyp is Fren. Maybe it won't mind the extra sun; we saw some of those growing in full sun last year.

Last I heard, a couple days ago, was that the ones at Wagner were in bud. Mine are also in bud.

Great Cyp Fren! It's come a long way :). The sun definitely helps them clump up. My first parviflorum, which I bought in 2001 or 2002, was planted in full shade and remained there for years as a single stem. When I moved it into more sun it immediately started to multiply.

its in full bloom!

I miscounted. There are actually 10 blooms :wink:
It has been quite cloudy and rainy lately so I don't have excellent lighting for photos, but at least the garden is very green from all this moisture. The blooms may last longer since it is so cool. And of course they are sweetly fragrant. These certainly brighten up the garden!
4684738954_f0569cdd9b_b.jpg

and of course the black backgrounds:
4684106637_ed25890cef_b.jpg

4684738986_583ce6fd8e_b.jpg

Thanks guys, I got lucky and chose the right spot from the beginning.

I do have another parviflorum var. pubescens and I probably have to relocate it to a sunnier spot. It only just popped up and I had already assumed that it was dead. If I do it carefully with minimal root disturbance I may do it today so that it can suck up some sun before next year. I didn't pot it in plastic so I could transport it without digging.

shade + Cyps is not ideal. I was mislead as I did plant a few in shade.
Maybe the southern growers, who have a longer season can grow in shade better?

It's a very beautiful plant! Your garden is so beautifully landscaped too, unlike mine! :p

Thanks, but the landscaping in this area was done by the previous house owner so I can't take credit. It would have costed me a fortune to haul the rockery in if I did it!

shade + Cyps is not ideal. I was mislead as I did plant a few in shade.
Maybe the southern growers, who have a longer season can grow in shade better?

I think it's true that in the hot south Cyps have to be grown in shade. It does get hot here too though, and any Cyps I've planted in full sun have been very badly burned within a couple days in July. You have to strike a balance between too much shade and too much sun. The plants should be protected from hot afternoon sun but should always get full skylight, and should ideally get direct sun in the morning and in the evening. I've found that northern exposures do this perfectly and have been getting excellent results over the past few years.

I can't believe that I got three ribbons! I dug it out and brought it to the June Orchid Society of Alberta meeting to share with my orchid friends. To my suprise I recieved 3 ribbons for the month (it was not my goal to do this!):
Best culture
Best species
Best in Show

I have decided to put my mom's name as the cultivar 'Moon Mah'. Back then we went to Hole's garden centre, we picked this plant and she bought this as my first Cyp. for me. The plant got a little dehydrated in the van since it was stuck in there all day, and I am glad that the pouches swelled up again for this photo today. Poor thing. I put it back into the ground now.

I posted the first photos on a somewhat rainy day and I guess the dorsals were down. The blooms opened slower than usual.

4702016480_d2fa0e6268_b.jpg

Back