NOID Epi. sp.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fbrem

I've shown this before, but it's never bloomed like this before and I really wish I had a name for this one. All I know is that it was brought back from a Southern Illinois University Carbondale professors collecting trip from the northern part of South America in the late 60's early 70's put in the greenhouse, did well, and I got a piece in 2004. 17 inflorescences with roughly 35-40 blooms each this year.

DSCN0261.jpg

DSCN0267.jpg

Forrest

Spectacular! I'd go to the Internet Orchid Encyclopedia and look through all the Epidendrums. Looks sorta like a white version of Epi. pfavii.

Yep, Nik is right, Jay Pfahl's website is an excellent place to try and nail down a name. http://www.orchidspecies.com/ Nik has got the right flower shape in the guess of Epi. pfavi, but I don't think it is Epi. pfavii, that species is normally pink. I would start by looking up Epi. difforme, and the long list of closely related species allied to Epi difforme.
Note the traits like plant size & habit, and flowering season, and fragrances, and see if you can narrow it down to a short list of possibilities. I am definitely not an expert on this group, but I think Jay's site will help you narrow down the list of possible names.

Unfortunately you will have to page through over 100 entries with photos for the Epidendrums. The location info you have might help to narrow it down the list. It can be quite an interesting project.
Leo

Yep, Nik is right, Jay Pfahl's website is an excellent place to try and nail down a name. http://www.orchidspecies.com/ Nik has got the right flower shape in the guess of Epi. pfavi, but I don't think it is Epi. pfavii, that species is normally pink. I would start by looking up Epi. difforme, and the long list of closely related species allied to Epi difforme.
Note the traits like plant size & habit, and flowering season, and fragrances, and see if you can narrow it down to a short list of possibilities. I am definitely not an expert on this group, but I think Jay's site will help you narrow down the list of possible names.

Unfortunately you will have to page through over 100 entries with photos for the Epidendrums. The location info you have might help to narrow it down the list. It can be quite an interesting project.
Leo

I did this last night and the closest thing I could come up with considering location and morphological characters was something in the group Pseudoepidendrum, subgroup paniculatum, and something closely related to or a variety of species densiflorum, but the lip shape is a bit off, maybe one of the closely related ones without a picture. oh well.

and as for the big clump, I can't even imagine what that looks like now, mine started at about 8 stems and there are well over 50 now. at least its not a finicky grower.

Message me privately and I will send you Eric Christiansen's email address. You might ask him to dig into your plant's identity. Offer to send him a few bucks for the hour or so of his time it will take to identify the plant, as his only income is from his books and articles. He is one of our local experts in south american species.
If anyone can figure it out he can.

I just saw an image of Epidendrum chlorops on the Woodstream Orchids website, you might check what Jay Pfahl has on this one, it might be your species.

Tremendous. If you tell me it's fragrant I may have to make a trip down south to steal, er, I mean 'view' it! :poke:

yeah it's night fragrant, my partner noticed it the other night, she thinks it stinks horribly and steers clear of it at night, I think it smells faintly like my Ang. sesquip. which is an intriguing smell.

Forrest

Latest posts

Back