A comparison of Br. cucullatas

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
This first plant/flower is what I consider to be the common type. opens up with a white center and yellow/brown tepals.
Paphs06-27-2009031.jpg

This one opens up white center but tepals maroon/pink which fade to whitish/yellowish. I will try to get another pic when it first opens.
Paphs06-27-2009030.jpg

Paphs06-27-2009029.jpg

The last one is my favorite. Normal colors but longer tepals that are wavy.
Paphs06-27-2009025.jpg

Paphs06-27-2009024.jpg

a very impressive species, and having 3 diff. plants of is extra!!!! The last shown is really a special beauty!!!! I have one in bloom that you would consider the normal form (1st) ! Jean

I've seen these with pink-to-red tips sometimes -- I've heard it has something to do with temperature.
Maybe so Dot, but the curly petalled one and pink/red turns whitish one hang right beside each other on the same gas pipe over head. the yellow form is at chest level. Look in the background of the 2nd pic, you will see another flower forming. See how dark mauroon it is?

Maybe so Dot, but the curly petalled one and pink/red turns whitish one hang right beside each other on the same gas pipe over head. the yellow form is at chest level. Look in the background of the 2nd pic, you will see another flower forming. See how dark mauroon it is?
Yes, that's why I'm not so sure about the temperatures. I've seen the same plant bloom, different years, with different color petals. So to what do you attribute this?

I love this species and have two of them along with a Brassavola George Tyler. The flowers smell so nice at night!

Yes, that's why I'm not so sure about the temperatures. I've seen the same plant bloom, different years, with different color petals. So to what do you attribute this?
I know from experince the first one, I call common, when grown in lower light levels it will bloom with white and green(ish) flowers but if given strong light/ full sun up to noon you will get these yellow/bronze tepals. So I would say light intensites has a big role in the out come of flower color. I did take a pic of the newest flower last night but didn't have a chance to upload it yet.

Latest posts

Back