Phragmipedium pearcei

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartie2000

Reaction score
Phrag pearcei first blooming. I got this one on eBay a while back.
Be sure to keep this one wet, they grow near rivers I read. I didn't water enough and the first bloom had a pouch that is folded underneath. The second bloom is ok.
Thanks for looking.

DSCN0412.jpg

DSCN0406.jpg

I've had it for around 2 years. I bought it as a single growth. Its a good grower but I didn't get it to bloom until now.

The plant is very compact. I wouldn't consider it large compared to some other phrags. And it's slender foliage wouldn't take much space even if the leaves wanted to get long. It sends growths slightly farther away from each other than I'd like though (but at least it stays in the media unlike some besseae!)

Also a nice pearcii. I agree with what smartie2000 say. At the last meeting of my club I saw one which was cultivated in a big nest in terra-cotta. Diameter 30 centimeters and substrate deep 6 to 8 centimeters. Maybe a good solution for this tramp.

Get 'em, NYEric!

Oh, BTW: nice pearcei. If it's the small growing type, it's likely what is commonly called "var. ecuadorense". Although, I tend to like bright, clear coloured flowers, this species has always been a favourite of mine. The flowers are "perky" and have really cool markings! They make great specimen plants! ....And yes, as long as it has free drainage, it is impossible to overwater this one.

There is potenial that it might be var. ecuadorense

Because the person selling the phrags at the time seem to be trying to get rid of a lot of divisions, I saw that additude (relisting plants,second offers, etc.). She/he was selling, and using the same photo to also sell Phrag ecuadorense and I bet they were the same plant.
But they are synonyms depending on the taxonomist

The stolons are ~3cm apart. Leaf span approx 25-30cm when the leaves are curled up. Spike with two blooms 22cm

Latest posts

Back