Why is this happening to my leaves?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deborah, we know your overall conditions are excellent and your water and fertilizer are correct. I think the first thing I would do is unpot the plant to see the condition of the roots. Good roots with your conditions and I can think about diseases, but I would need to see the health of the roots first.

Check out the Saint Augustine Orchid Society web site. They have a wonderful section on pests and diseases.
It could be Fusarium wilt. It is a nasty fungal disease that often stars in the roots and spreads rapidly. It causes the collapse of the cell walls. Cures and/remedies are listed there.
I sure hope I am wrong.

Deborah, we know your overall conditions are excellent and your water and fertilizer are correct. I think the first thing I would do is unpot the plant to see the condition of the roots. Good roots with your conditions and I can think about diseases, but I would need to see the health of the roots first.
I agree there… the mix looks dark and the roots almost black?

Sucking insects was also my first thought because the leaves tend to curl and these sunken brown-red spots also can appear. They can be really small.

How about spraying the plant with an insecticide, even if you can't see anything yet? In Germany we use “Bi58”, doesn't harm the orchids. There are certainly good products that some people use often here on the forum.

I don't know if also a fungicide would be a good idea. It's better to be safe before the plant dies. Don't apply everything at the same time so as not to stress the plant too much.

I would like it to be an easily treatable infection, but before I went down the insecticide road I would pull the plant out of the pot and inspect the roots. If they are good, just put it back in and fill in the same media and go after the infection. If the roots are poor, I don’t think insecticides are the solution.

Latest posts

Back