The story Paph. callosum 'jac'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi David,

is it possible to take a few pictures of your selfing of vinferum 'Jac' (from Sam Tsui),
please take a shot of the plant base and from the top if it's not to much
asked of you
thanx cliokchi:wink:

Very interesting story Cliokchi. Sounds like it is just an individual mutation rather than from a population. I have a flask of the selfing of vinferum 'Jac' (from Sam Tsui) that I am currently raising slowly. What would you expect them to tun out like?

David

Here you go cliokchi. Can you see enough from this photo?

They are still pretty small plants. I have 4 or 5 of these small compots. They don't all belong to me. Sam donated them to our local orchid society and I was given the responsibility of looking after them. They initially struggled for a bit but are now starting to pick up.

David

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hi David,

thanx for your prompt picture, i would suggest that as soon as you some
roots growing get them out of the coconut chips
have you ever tried to grow in NZ or 5xxxxx chillean sphagnum ?
mottled paph's do generally well in it but of course this all depends on your water quality .
I attached your picture and marked the plant that i feel has the most 'Jac'
blood in it's veins, if it's not to much asked send me also the other pots on a picture i'll pm you my private mail adress, so we don't have to bore our dear other slippertalkers forum members with my ramblings.
thanx for your prompt reply
cliokchi;)

Attachments

• viniferum2010a (Small).JPG
    viniferum2010a (Small).JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 67
hi David,

thanx for your prompt picture, i would suggest that as soon as you some
roots growing get them out of the coconut chips
have you ever tried to grow in NZ or 5xxxxx chillean sphagnum ?
mottled paph's do generally well in it but of course this all depends on your water quality .
I attached your picture and marked the plant that i feel has the most 'Jac'
blood in it's veins, if it's not to much asked send me also the other pots on a picture i'll pm you my private mail adress, so we don't have to bore our dear other slippertalkers forum members with my ramblings.
thanx for your prompt reply
cliokchi;)

Thanks Cliokchi. I'll try and post some more photos this evening. Running out of time though as I'm heading off for Christmas tomorrow.

All the seedlings are from JAC. Are you saying the one you marked is the most likely to resemble the parent?

Co-incidentally I just bought a big bale of NZ spaghnum moss to grow Miltoniopsis in, so I have a supply. I have not grown orchids in it generally so can you tell me what sort of mix I should use. With the Miltoniopsis I was told to grow them in 50% spaghnum moss and 50% large grade perlite. Would something similar for Paphs suit? Maybe smaller grade perlite for the seedlings. Do you grow your large mottled-leaf Paphs in it as well? Our water is pretty low in TDS.

David

Please keep this going! This is a fascinating thread...I've always wanted a "Jac"...and I've always wondered about the validity of "viniferum" if it was coming from such a small sample. Oh, and yes, get them out of the CHC....you can already see the yellowing of the lower leaves...first sign of problems when barbata types grow in them.

hi David,

this an article about Sphagnum moss and Paph's
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17700

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17840
both threads are made by a young Indonesian student of horticulture
currently studying in Taiwan, I found it very well written and certainly
useful for you.
yes i think the plant I marked by me will be closest to 'Jac'
have a nice day
cliokchi;)

Thanks Cliokchi. I'll try and post some more photos this evening. Running out of time though as I'm heading off for Christmas tomorrow.

All the seedlings are from JAC. Are you saying the one you marked is the most likely to resemble the parent?

Co-incidentally I just bought a big bale of NZ spaghnum moss to grow Miltoniopsis in, so I have a supply. I have not grown orchids in it generally so can you tell me what sort of mix I should use. With the Miltoniopsis I was told to grow them in 50% spaghnum moss and 50% large grade perlite. Would something similar for Paphs suit? Maybe smaller grade perlite for the seedlings. Do you grow your large mottled-leaf Paphs in it as well? Our water is pretty low in TDS.

David

hi David,

this an article about Sphagnum moss and Paph's
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17700

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17840
both threads are made by a young Indonesian student of horticulture
currently studying in Taiwan, I found it very well written and certainly
useful for you.
yes i think the plant I marked by me will be closest to 'Jac'
have a nice day
cliokchi;)

Thanks Cliokchi for the links. I'll look at them closely and repot the viniferums when I get back from my holidays.

I'm just not going to have enough time to photograph the other compots before I go. I will post them on my return.

Have a great Xmas and NY everyone.

David

Latest posts

Back