Remember this post ???

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19699

Well here is a photo of the open flower. The spike is 10 c.m. tall and the flower has a natural spread of 9.5 c.m. So, do I officially have a NOID?

Picture005.jpg

The petal margins will "ruffle" over the next few days. The flower looks a bit like wardii x hirsutissimum; but, the foliage doesn't support that "guess". I'd like to see a photo in 4 or 5 days, when the flower is mature.

In the other thread, you say it was supposed to be a roth. That vendor took you. Selling smaller leafed Paphs with plain green leaves as seedlings of roth and other valuable strap leaf species and hybrids, is an old trick. Unfortunately, unscrupulous vendors who want to make the big bucks without having to actually invest in growing the plants that are worth the big bucks, are always out there with their hands out.

Could it be a primary hirsutissimum hybrid back crossed to hirsutissimum?

The petal margins will "ruffle" over the next few days. The flower looks a bit like wardii x hirsutissimum; but, the foliage doesn't support that "guess". I'd like to see a photo in 4 or 5 days, when the flower is mature.

In the other thread, you say it was supposed to be a roth. That vendor took you. Selling smaller leafed Paphs with plain green leaves as seedlings of roth and other valuable strap leaf species and hybrids, is an old trick. Unfortunately, unscrupulous vendors who want to make the big bucks without having to actually invest in growing the plants that are worth the big bucks, are always out there with their hands out.
You wouldn't think vendors would last very long in the trade if that were their modus operandi!

Could it be a primary hirsutissimum hybrid back crossed to hirsutissimum?
Hirsut, for sure -- and probably more than once.

I was going to say var. chiwuanum, but the dorsal doesn't quite look like it... Very interesting, whatever it is... Maybe you should let it open for a week or so?

I was thinking a bit along the same lines. Can you get an angle with a good view of the staminode?

Without a peek at the staminode, this flower is a dead ringer for the in situ pics in Averyanov's book.

Unfortunately you can't see any leaf bases in the pics, and the text description doesn't mention anything about leaf base pigment.

In Averyanov's complete description of straight hirsutisimum he mentions purple spots at the base of the leaves, so I don't think we can rule out the possibility of pigment in chiwuanum.

I everybody. I know that Donna had a hard time getting this photo and she can't figure out why. The leaves showed great but the flower did not. She took many photos and this is the best. I'll ask her to take a photo in a few days. Sorry if I jumped the gun.

While reading the description in Cribb's 2nd edition for hirsutisimum I saw some odd notation.

"Leaves +/- spotted with purple at base"

I would interpret this as may or may not have purple spotting at the base of leaves.

I've seen quite a few hirsutisimum and var esquirolei over the years, and never saw basal spots before, but now with some notation from both Cribb and Averyanov it appears (that spots) do not automatically mean hybridization.

Does anyone out there have a verified chiwuanam for comparison? At 9.5cm its only 1cm bigger than the wild size range for the variety given by Averyanov.

It looks like pictures I've seen of chiwuanum too. Not sure though.

The pink petals of hirsut, appletonianum, hookerae, lowii, etc are hard for me to capture too. Donna did a decent job here IMO.

To me, it reminds me of the type species, hirisitisimum. I recall pigment at the base of a Plant I had in the late 80's. I didn't remember that part of the plant until Bob's post. I was never able to bloom the plant to completion. It would come into bud and always blast, too warm I guess. But I know it was hirisitisimum because I saw it blooming before I got a divison. It will be interesting to see the outcome of this guy.

Final Photos-What to the experts say?

Well here is the last photos that I dare ask Donna to take of this plant.

picture1.jpg

As you can see, it did indeed get wavy. Here is a close up of the staminode. I just ran down and looked at the staminode. To me it looks like two white dots on the top with a green one on the bottom.

Picture004-1.jpg

So, as the title asks, What do the experts think?

Latest posts

Back