Problematic paphs

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I meant "completely in flowing water" - not pure water as RO. Sorry. :(

No problem, but low nutrient is the key to constant exposure (not necessarily flowing).

I've measured water quality in seeps and springs in Tennessee and the water is generally very low in NPK, but can be very high in Ca and Mg.

And yes there is also lots of mosses, ferns, sedges, and sometimes even orchids.

I meant "completely in flowing water" - not pure water as RO. And the paphs were cultured by a men... not in the wild! Sorry, I should have been more precisely!

I'm not too sure about Thailand, but in Malaysia, there is at least one slipper grower who grows in 'semi-hydro' (using regular plastic pots with drainage holes at the bottom, perlite with/without flora foam as media) sitting in at least 2-3 inches of flowing water. That system worked very well in his old location but he recently shifted to a new place where he no longer uses this system and the slippers don't look as well, especially in hot weather..

I think the issue with shading is quite interesting. From my observation, it is a 'trend' to grow slippers with as much light as possible in temperate countries like the UK, US, Australia. Most of the plants bloom well (even from small growths or fans) but the leaves are often a bit pale. On the other hand, in most of Southeast Asia, slipper growers tend to go for shady growing conditions, mainly to escape the heat, but the resultant plants when grown under less light often show better foliage coloration and larger mature growths (you can refer to examples in the culture notes by Xavier in another thread).

paphioboy said:
I'm not too sure about Thailand, but in Malaysia, there is at least one slipper grower who grows in 'semi-hydro' (using regular plastic pots with drainage holes at the bottom, perlite with/without flora foam as media) sitting in at least 2-3 inches of flowing water. That system worked very well in his old location but he recently shifted to a new place where he no longer uses this system and the slippers don't look as well, especially in hot weather..
Sounds like that is it what I saw on pics! :) Looked very interesting.

Back