Ppah Triple Bella

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
Here's one of the plants I picked up from Nick Tannaci after Candace mentioned his website. He, of course, specializes in "complex" Brachys. This is a cross of P. Bella Lucia X P. Triple Trix. The staminode has a fold in it but it should clear up on the next blooming. As you can see, it has a very weak stem.
PTripleBella1.jpg

It may not be completely open either.
PTripleBella2.jpg

Here is what it looks like after I wire stalked it up.
PTripleBella4.jpg

Wow, this is a really complex one; I googled a bit looking for parentage but gave it up!! At least bellatulum is quite visible. Very nice bloom with fine shape!!! Jean

Bella Lucia= bellatulum x Wellesleyanum and Triple Trix= Double Trix x Psyche. You're Jean, very complexed!:confused:
P.S. I found this too...Paph Double Trix. (Double Shot X S. Gratrix)

Well, I appreciate the nice shape of this flower, but why would you breed through 6 generations for a paph flower that behaves like a Stanhopea?

Rick, this is a nice flower to look at, I'm just wondering what the breeder was after.

best wishes, Carsten

The bloom is beautiful! Maybe the next blooming it will be stronger. It could have just been a fluke. :D

but why would you breed through 6 generations for a paph flower that behaves like a Stanhopea?
I believe this is a first time bloomer? Looks like on a small or single growth plant? That could be the reason, I'd give it another chance!

Well, I appreciate the nice shape of this flower, but why would you breed through 6 generations for a paph flower that behaves like a Stanhopea?

Rick, this is a nice flower to look at, I'm just wondering what the breeder was after.

best wishes, Carsten
Carsten,
I his discription, he states "this could be one of the flatest Brachys ever!" Maybe so but not for this clone at this time!:D

Carsten,
I his discription, he states "this could be one of the flatest Brachys ever!" Maybe so but not for this clone at this time!:D
Did he mean flat after falling on it's face! :evil:
I'm sorry couldn't resist that one but I'd still give it a second blooming.

Ouch, tough crowd. Kind of premature to judge a cross by one first bloom seedling, no? Many paphs have to be staked since size has been bred into them. Of course, strong stems are desired too, but don't always happen. There are always bound to be some undesirable traits (or plants) that come out of even the most fantastic crosses.

I like this one overall. Though, I'd probably stake it next time.

Yes, stake it next time. I think it's the bellatulum in it that makes it hang down like that. Looks like a good flower, though.

Ouch, tough crowd.

Since I was propably throwing the first stone: I am aware of bellatulums weak stem and I know it is being inherited over generations. Also, brachys in general do not have stems like a tree trunk. But, though not pure brachys, I have bellatulum primary hybrids that hold their flowers better, even on a first flowering.
I was showing my surprise that this rather advanced cross showed such a weak stem, which made me wonder what the main goals in breeding were. To me, flower presentation would be equally important as size, maybe very just after shape and colour.
Of course, I do hope the stem on Ricks plant will improve on future flowerings. I'd also give it another chance to show how flat it can get. As I said, this is quite a nice flower to look at, it has good shape, pleasant coloration and is propably rather large as well.
And finally, Nick has a great reputation for breeding strong, healthy and vigorous quality hybrids, even over here in Europe.

Candace, the crowd got tough on the flower (wasn't my intention), but not unfriendly to Rick, at least.

Personally, I welcome any critique my plants receive here, as long as it happens in a good and friendly way, which it always did. Pointing out the pros and cons of a flower makes up quite a bit of the substance that is in this forum. There's another place to get just the Aaaah's and Ooooh's.

Best wishes, Carsten

Since I was propably throwing the first stone: I am aware of bellatulums weak stem and I know it is being inherited over generations. Also, brachys in general do not have stems like a tree trunk. But, though not pure brachys, I have bellatulum primary hybrids that hold their flowers better, even on a first flowering.
I was showing my surprise that this rather advanced cross showed such a weak stem, which made me wonder what the main goals in breeding were. To me, flower presentation would be equally important as size, maybe very just after shape and colour.
Of course, I do hope the stem on Ricks plant will improve on future flowerings. I'd also give it another chance to show how flat it can get. As I said, this is quite a nice flower to look at, it has good shape, pleasant coloration and is propably rather large as well.
And finally, Nick has a great reputation for breeding strong, healthy and vigorous quality hybrids, even over here in Europe.

Candace, the crowd got tough on the flower (wasn't my intention), but not unfriendly to Rick, at least.

Personally, I welcome any critique my plants receive here, as long as it happens in a good and friendly way, which it always did. Pointing out the pros and cons of a flower makes up quite a bit of the substance that is in this forum. There's another place to get just the Aaaah's and Ooooh's.

Best wishes, Carsten
I totally have to agree Carsten. Critique good or bad is always a good thing as long as it doesn't get personal. I see no such attack here except for my choice of staking!:poke:

Latest posts

Back