• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted Phragmipediums that bloom often?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewm

Reaction score
Hi if anybody has any Phrag hybrids or species that bloom often plz let me know, thank you! Open to suggestions šŸ˜Š

Things might bloom often, IF, and that is a BIG IF, if you are able to provide the right conditions for them.
Very little in orchids is automatic!
Have you ever tried a 'Sorcerer's Apprentice'? Pretty automatic...
You can say that again!!! These things do what they want to do šŸ˜‰
Once again...Have you ever tried a 'Sorcerer's Apprentice'?

i second Duck Slipper about Sorcerers Apprentice. I have one that has been almost continually blooming for 2 years now . took a short break then put up 2 new spikes and hasnā€™t stopped since last
year

i second Duck Slipper about Sorcerers Apprentice. I have one that has been almost continually blooming for 2 years now . took a short break then put up 2 new spikes and hasnā€™t stopped since last
year
Yea I am going to get one thanks

Phrag. pearcei is a good candidate. In good conditions and once it's a big clump, this species will produce multiple spikes throughout the year, and each spike will bloom sequentially over a period of months (6 - 9+ not being uncommon). It's also a species that would likely do well in warmer parts of the USA. Some of the green flowered P. pearcei hybrids could work as well (ex: Green Hornet). I don't know how soon I could promise it, but I could make a division of one of my pearcei plants for you when I get some time to repot them.

Sorcerer's Apprentice and similar hybrids are a good choice, but if you are constrained on growing space, then you'll have to really do your homework because the standard form of this hybrid gets HUGE, and can easily have spikes as tall as a person. But it's very true, a big and mature plant can potentially be in bloom constantly or close to it, year round in good conditions.

I saw someone else mention Mexipedium xerophyticum. It's an amazing species, but I'm not sure I agree that it fits the bill for "blooms often", though that does depend on your definition and intent. Still a fantastic species, but it's one that's probably only going to bloom once a year, though the spikes can last awhile since they are sequential blooming like Phrags. I have had an out of season spike on my plant from time to time, but it doesn't happen reliably enough that I would depend on it.

Phrag. pearcei is a good candidate. In good conditions and once it's a big clump, this species will produce multiple spikes throughout the year, and each spike will bloom sequentially over a period of months (6 - 9+ not being uncommon). It's also a species that would likely do well in warmer parts of the USA. Some of the green flowered P. pearcei hybrids could work as well (ex: Green Hornet). I don't know how soon I could promise it, but I could make a division of one of my pearcei plants for you when I get some time to repot them.

Sorcerer's Apprentice and similar hybrids are a good choice, but if you are constrained on growing space, then you'll have to really do your homework because the standard form of this hybrid gets HUGE, and can easily have spikes as tall as a person. But it's very true, a big and mature plant can potentially be in bloom constantly or close to it, year round in good conditions.

I saw someone else mention Mexipedium xerophyticum. It's an amazing species, but I'm not sure I agree that it fits the bill for "blooms often", though that does depend on your definition and intent. Still a fantastic species, but it's one that's probably only going to bloom once a year, though the spikes can last awhile since they are sequential blooming like Phrags. I have had an out of season spike on my plant from time to time, but it doesn't happen reliably enough that I would depend on it.
Thanks for the reply, pearcei almost can live in water huh?

Thanks for the reply, pearcei almost can live in water huh?
I've grown sorcerer's apprentice in aquaponics... Airstone in the bottom of a 3 gallon bucket. Regular hydroponic fertilizer (made for tomatoes maybe). It never stopped being in bud or bloom, lasted maybe 18 months before I got tired of how big it was getting and moved it back to 'regular' culture.

Honestly most phrags will bloom a lot of you get enough growths on them. Longifolium is a great species to try (I don't have much luck with pearcii for some reason).

My Sorcerer's Apprentice, a division of Hadley Cash's plant, has been in semi-hydroponics for nearly 20 years. It can be monstrous, but stops blooming only when I divide it, which I have done at least 5 times.

I've grown sorcerer's apprentice in aquaponics... Airstone in the bottom of a 3 gallon bucket. Regular hydroponic fertilizer (made for tomatoes maybe). It never stopped being in bud or bloom, lasted maybe 18 months before I got tired of how big it was getting and moved it back to 'regular' culture.

Honestly most phrags will bloom a lot of you get enough growths on them. Longifolium is a great species to try (I don't have much luck with pearcii for some reason).

All very cool. If anyone has any other types to sell lemme kno šŸ˜Š

As was previously mentioned, I've got a Green Hornet (pearcei x longifolium) that is never not in bloom. It's got at least 20 growths and sends 4 or 5 spikes up a year. If you buy a BS plant, it should get to that size in 3 or 4 years.

As was previously mentioned, I've got a Green Hornet (pearcei x longifolium) that is never not in bloom. It's got at least 20 growths and sends 4 or 5 spikes up a year. If you buy a BS plant, it should get to that size in 3 or 4 years.
Yea that's what I've heard w those that's cool. I've got a couple right now that r doing ok

Latest posts

Back