Phrag pearcei in the wild

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I really liked this spot! We actually were in this valley looking for new fish and dart frogs but this rock in
Northern Peru was an exciting find! It really put on a display showing how Phrag pearcei grows
associated with water. Enjoy the pictures!

Ppearcei_15.JPG

Ppearcei_6.JPG

Ppearcei_2.JPG

Ppearcei_5.JPG

Ppearcei_7.JPG

Ppearcei_8.JPG

Ppearcei_9.JPG

Ppearcei_10.JPG

The roots grow right on the rock with a little covering of sediment and organic matter.

Ppearcei_14.JPG

Ppearcei_11.JPG

Ppearcei_12.JPG

This group was on a different rock along the shore.
The pearcei always seems to have the grass growing next to it?

Ppearcei_3.JPG

In case you are wondering about the fish, my friend Pasqual
managed to find a strange Pleco under a rock.

Ppearcei_1.JPG

Pleco_1.JPG

all too cool for words, that is some incredible stuff, thanks for sharing

Forrest

Pretty cool to see them in the wild like that, so I guess you can call them Lithophytes.

Robert

Yes I guess they pretty much are Lithophytes. The roots hold onto the rocks without help from the grass. But the grass would likely provide organic matter for the roots. And maybe the shade from the grass helps new pearcei seedlings to get established?

Lance,

Great photos. I think you're lucky to be able to see them in their native habitat. I never have and probably won't anytime soon.
Thanks for sharing.

All the best,

Rob Z.

What is the sediment? Sandy or more clay-like?

Silt,very fine with organic content. But there really was very little. The roots attach right to the rock surface.

These plants would be under water at times so sediments would be minimal. As you can see the shrub growing on top of the rock is water swept. The Phrags only grew on the downstream (protected) side of the boulder.

Back