Paphiopedilum Yang-ji Hawk

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think you can... RHS is probably making a mistake in letting anitum be a separate entity from adductum. I'd still keep it as a variety. Also I guarantee no small amount of people claiming to use adductum and actually using adductum v. anitum.

I'm a lumper, not a splitter, and generally say the same thing about besseae and dalessandroi. They may be different, but they weren't different in the eyes of RHS or breeders at the beginning. They are totally interbred at this point. Too late to put that genie back in the bottle, on either side of the argument.

For fun, compare the Johanna Burkhardt awards and the Wossner Black Wings awards.

(sanderianum x adductum) = Paul Parks, I could care less whether it's called Paul Parks or Yang-Ji Hawk as long as there's sufficient information about the characteristics of the parents used (especially when purchasing unbloomed hybrids). With an anitum 'Dark Star' parent, I would expect some nearly black coloration at the base of the dorsal sepal (which this hybrid has). If the parent had been listed as adductum, it may or may not produce a dark dorsal - depending on whether the parent was adductum or adductum var. anitum.
Similarly, " Sophronitis coccinea" tells me more about the expected plant characteristics than "Cattleya coccinea" ever will...

For fun, compare the Johanna Burkhardt awards and the Wossner Black Wings awards.

All but a couple of the awards to Johanna Burkhardt are clearly WBW. Anitum and adductum are very different plants when grown side by side and breed differently as well, with anitum consistently producing better quality offspring. If they are lumped into one species then so should be lowii and haynaldianum and all the Cochlopetalum should be one species too.

Latest posts

Back