Paphiopedilum Sanderianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is down to a single growth. Erwina destroyed the new growth it last flowered on. The growth it stated around 10 years ago is the one that is maturing now. For some reason the leaves are much shorter on this growth.
Is that typical of the species to take that long to grow? And how does it compare to plants in nature?

Is that typical of the species to take that long to grow? And how does it compare to plants in nature?

No it is usually a feeding problem. In the wild the plants bloom every 18 months, which makes for something quite strange, as there are 2 peak blooming seasons in the year. They are very heavy feeders after all.

A high pH like 6.5 or more makes them very sensitive to Erwinia, especially if the high pH does not come from carbonates....

No it is usually a feeding problem. In the wild the plants bloom every 18 months, which makes for something quite strange, as there are 2 peak blooming seasons in the year. They are very heavy feeders after all.

A high pH like 6.5 or more makes them very sensitive to Erwinia, especially if the high pH does not come from carbonates....
Thanks, that makes sense. I’d imagine they have a high light requirement as well. I’ve always wanted to try one but so far have resisted because of all the hybrids being sold as sanderianum in Australia. I’m not really sure if a reliable source.

It didn't take that long to mature the last blooming growth, it was about 4 years. From my experience a paph that throws two new growths has a dominant growth and a weaker growth (with maturation varying by as much as a couple of years). In my case the weaker growth is the one that survived. My hope is that as this growth matures and throws a couple of new growths, the normal growing pattern will resume.

It didn't take that long to mature the last blooming growth, it was about 4 years. From my experience a paph that throws two new growths has a dominant growth and a weaker growth (with maturation varying by as much as a couple of years). In my case the weaker growth is the one that survived. My hope is that as this growth matures and throws a couple of new growths, the normal growing pattern will resume.
in all the years I have been growing paphs. I had never put 2 and 2 together but since you said that I see it clear as day that 2 growths and one is always way faster than the other. (I couldn't see the trees for the forest) Thanks for pointing that out.

If sands like lower pH, why is it recommended to add supplemental lime (ie oyster shells) for these, which I'm assuming raises the pH?

I don't disagree with you, just hoping to increase my knowledge about when to use oyster shells and when to avoid them. I'm also considering switching to inorganic media where nutrition/pH is more critical to get right. I started with roths since they are more tolerant to abuse. Can you elaborate more on what you mean by "heavy feeders"? Compared too...?

I also noticed one Kiki growth getting a head start on the other. Here is a photo of one of my sands that flowered about a year ago. Both kikis came up shortly after flowering but only one is doing much. My fingers are crossed for a rebloom in 2-3years.

On the other hand, my more vigorous sister plant had both new growths at about the same rate (2nd picture). Probably genetics.

Attachments

• 20240103_153824.jpg
    20240103_153824.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240103_153920.jpg
    20240103_153920.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
The lime used is mostly for the purpose of preventing a too steep acidification... Actually, it is very poorly soluble in water, after all, except at lower/low pH, so it is more a buffer than a pH correction... If it is acid, it dissolves, so the pH goes up. If it is neutral or alkaline, oyster shell or dolomitic limestone are inert or nearly so.

The drop in pH can come from the potting mix, from the direct fertilizer, or the residual effect of the fertilizer once processed/absorbed by the roots/microorganism in the media... and lime is usually used to prevent pH swings to the low side. Normally, with oyster shells or real dolomitic lime, you won't reach a pH of 8-9+ that easily by 'accident'.

Potassium hydroxide/caustic soda would be a pH correction...

Small seedlings will take 10 years or longer to mature...after the plant is mature and blooms for the first time, it normally will mature the new growth and bloom again in about 16-20 months(at least my plant does that anyway).

Last edited:
On the other hand, my more vigorous sister plant had both new growths at about the same rate (2nd picture). Probably genetics.
Lucky you! I am still not able to get two growths going on mine...would like to see a picture of your flowers too.

Lucky you! I am still not able to get two growths going on mine...would like to see a picture of your flowers too.
I have my fingers crossed for one to flower this spring. Will share once it does!

The plants are so much easier to grow once mature size. If you can get a seedling to flower in 6 years I think you are doing very well!

@ spujr, Seedlings straight out of the flask will take a lot longer than 6 years...where is yours from? How big was it when you got it?

@ spujr, Seedlings straight out of the flask will take a lot longer than 6 years...where is yours from? How big was it when you got it?
Hi, I wasn't claiming to grow seedlings to flower in 6 years but I've seen others who have. ExoticOrchids and another person posted online 6 years...of course they could be lying but I'll give them a benefit if the doubt.

The plants pictured above are much older than 6... flask dates 04' I believe. Yeah, very slow!

Hi, I wasn't claiming to grow seedlings to flower in 6 years but I've seen others who have. ExoticOrchids and another person posted online 6 years...of course they could be lying but I'll give them a benefit if the doubt.

The plants pictured above are much older than 6... flask dates 04' I believe. Yeah, very slow!
I know you were not talking about your plants...but I am still curious about the origin and the size of the plant when you got it. Based on the leaves, I think you have a real sanderianum and let's hope so if you still have not seen the flowers.
I am not going to comment on what other people posted online... people come to the forums/facebook for all reasons...you know what I mean here.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back