Paphiopedilum gratrixianum - Vietnam

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The most salient distinguishing features for me are the leaf width, the green background to the lower half of the dorsal, but most importantly the difference in staminode shape. The pic published with Eric's article (which, by the way, reads light and fun, showing taxonomic writing need not always be dry as dust!) shows a staminode shaped roughly like an upside-down heart, whereas the plant which is the subject of this thread, on close examination of the third pic, shows a staminode which is the reverse on the bottom, i.e., instead of being sharply indented it has a somewhat flattened point.

NOW, on to the most important consideration for all of us slipper freaks: where did Eric's pics come from, where are these plants, and how can we get some????

Last edited:
NOW, on to the most important consideration for all of us slipper freaks: where did Eric's pics come from, where are these plants, and how can we get some????

Don't know where the plants Eric took pictures of are now. At the time when that article came out Andy's Orchids offered me "wide leaf" Laotian gratrixianums. But since that was 4 or so years ago I don't know if they have any left.

Latest posts

Back