Paphiopedilum gigantifolium x Michael Koopowitz

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice. I have gigantifolium x St Swithin in bud. Very curious about how it will turn out.

I think it's an improvement over gigantifolium 'cause the petals got longer! Not all improvement is in the flowers, it may also have more vigor, & be quicker growing than either species. So yes we also agree Rick, would you get one of these? Think about it, is the sandie x gig cross (Chiu Hua Dancer) better? If so why?

The length of the petals is not the only criterion of a flower. If you ask me, gig. has much better colour. I don't say that it isn't worth hybridizing, but I like the shape of gig. better. The main value of gig. is its difference from the other muliflorals.
I definitely agree that there could be an improvement in the vigor. But trust me, gig. is already fast, especially in fs. New growth are developing very fast!
But actually it's moronic to compare a species with a hybrid ;-) and ultimately it's a question of taste...

I hate to hijack vandacee's thread, therefore to continue this see new thread gigantifolium & it's hybrids.

The three flowers open

gig_koop3_1280.jpg

the cross is registered as Asendorfer Gigant. Very nice with all three flowers open, the petals are nicer than the one I saw last weekend at a nursery. That cross has lost some of gig's colour, but in my eyes it is a nice blend with visible gigantifolium and sanderianum influence. Compare to the one Olaf posted this morning, which is made with PEOY. Roth in a cross makes a difference, again.

So what's the legal status of gigantifolium and its hybrids? I know of one California nursery that brought in flasks of the species and the cross with anitum.

Lovely photo and I really like the flowers. This plant can live in my greenhouse any day. Welcome to ST. Please don't worry about English...
we don't. Paph. people can speak to one another in any language.

Latest posts

Back