Paphiopedilum armeniacum - Here we go again

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is the second or third time this armeniacum has spiked. The previous time was in August, and I had high hopes it would make it. No such luck. This time it is in my barely heated 6x8 greenhouse and looking good.... However, I am not using the greenhouse all winter. My plan is to close up shop at the end of the month, which would mean moving this finicky thing inside. The inside temps will be in the high 50s are night but will be a change from the 40s it is currently experiencing. Any recommendations or thoughts on keeping this spike going.

20231223_130940.jpg20231223_130927.jpg

I am so sorry Dj but I do not possess enough detailed experience with this particular species to provide any detailed hints as to what to do.
My common sense of it all tells me that more intermediate temperatures that you are quoting won’t play too big of a role in culture. If you were going closer to 65-68 at night then maybe.
If you are thinking of 68-72 during the days with equal lighting, it would strike me as being a sound plan. If it adjusts it might accelerate bud maturity but aren’t these guys noted for developing slowly?
Again common sense says anything in moderation should be fine. A drastic warm up might be much worse.
A stabilizing factor might be to maintain a similar watering schedule. But like I said, not a great deal of history with me and armeniacum. Sorry!

Armeniacum needs low temp and drier period with higher humidity in spiking period, similar like malipoense. On the other hand armeniacum does not like pot culture because of its stoloniferous growing. It loves basket culture and more light, same as cattleyas. Here is mine in basket. It was a si gle growth plant two years ago, now it has 13+ new shoots.Screenshot_20231219_180821.jpg

A shallow pot(3" deep) with a well-drained medium is also good if basket culture is not convenient. If you don't have a shallow pot, then don't fill the pot with medium all the way up.

.......My plan is to close up shop at the end of the month, which would mean moving this finicky thing inside. The inside temps will be in the high 50s are night but will be a change from the 40s it is currently experiencing. Any recommendations or thoughts on keeping this spike going
I don't think the question of Darlene was if she needs basket culture or a shallow pot to grow this species well. Darlene's plant is very well grown.
The question aimed of temperature rules.
Darlene, do you have other alternatives than to grow it between 40 and 50 F. If not ..... try it. In my eyes these temperatures should work .... but as always ... learning by doing.

I don't think the question of Darlene was if she needs basket culture or a shallow pot to grow this species well. Darlene's plant is very well grown.
Darlene, do you have other alternatives than to grow it between 40 and 50 F. If not ..... try it. In my eyes these temperatures should work .... but as always ... learning by doing.

@GuRu That is a very valid point. I do not have much of an option outside of trial and hopefully not error. Technically, I could keep my little greenhouse going but it is not energy efficient at all, and we had generator failure a few years ago that soured me on that idea. The rest of the house came on but the greenhouse did not, and a handful of cool growers suffered badly. It was below 20F (-7C). Plus keeping the greenhouse running in hopes of seeing one plant bloom is a level of obsession that I have not yet reached. :)

All, Thank you for the growing tips. The armeniacum you see here has been in my collection since 2020. It came as a single growth seedling. Since I had another armeniacum in basket culture, I opted for a shallow bulb pan for this one. While I have seen some amazing basket grown armeniacums, my potted plant out grew my basket grown plant quickly and dramatically. My basket grown armeniacum has been with my since 2014 and is half the size of this one. It seems to have a hard time maintaining the side grows long term. I switched it to a pot this fall. Bulb pans are shallow enough that the stolons find their way back up... most of the time. For me, pot culture is more convienient and allow for better moisture consistency. In addition to time constraints, I lean towards under watering, which makes basket grown paphs a challenge.

I will keep y'all posted on my little armeniacum bud.

Dj, as long as the rh is not less than 40% like in my house, you can just move your plant back in the house and let it develop inside--the spike/bud in your plant has already started growing(fast now)...you don't need the cooling-drying process anymore. Just be careful with watering(try not to wet the flower bud.) I did it to one of my armeniacum this fall and it was perfectly fine. Just my opinion here.

Last edited:
The basket culture was just a side talk(we call it hijacking a thread), which happens all the time. No worry, GuRu.

Last edited:
The basket culture was just a side talk, which happens all the time. No worry, GuRu.
Yes, I wrote that armeni has similar needs in budding period like malipoense. I mentioned the basket culture because this sp is almost impossible to grow in pot because its stolons. If there are several dieing stolons in a closed pot, plant will lost its sources, becames exhausted and dies. This effort of plant to produce newer and newer stolones to replace the old, dieing ones can make effect on buddig and blooming seriously. But it is just my opinion/experience with armenis.

Yes, I wrote that armeni has similar needs in budding period like malipoense. I mentioned the basket culture because this sp is almost impossible to grow in pot because its stolons. If there are several dieing stolons in a closed pot, plant will lost its sources, becames exhausted and dies. This effort of plant to produce newer and newer stolones to replace the old, dieing ones can make effect on buddig and blooming seriously. But it is just my opinion/experience with armenis.
First of all, I am glad that people speak about cultures based on their experience...,
In this case, no one is questioning the validity of your growing method here(in your growing condition), so don't worry. Few other people also have great success with basket culture, but it is not always convenient or works for everybody.
My malipoense for sure doesn't need a cool and dry period like armeniacum and it has already had a two feet spike....so like I always say, do whatever works for you and change if needed. Also, take everyone's advice with a grain of salt.

@armeniacum "is almost impossible to grow in pot because its stolons"--the keyword is "shallow pot". I have always been happy(although not perfect) with my plants in shallow pot all these years(I had a few other armeniacum plants before also)and pot culture is convenient in many ways. I believe Dj is happy with hers in a bulb pan(shallow pot) too.

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Last edited:
Can you just read all the posts word by word closely? We were all exchanging information and no one ever slightly criticized anything about your successful basket culture. GuRu pointed out we(both of us) were hijacking the topic here but no big deal...it happened all the time. It was all civil......

Happy New Year to you too!

Last edited:
Dj,
I am far from a pro with an Armeniacum, but in this summers heat, I had a few buds die. Try to keep water off the bud...and move to a cooler location.
Your basket culture is intriguing, what size is your basket? Bark in the basket with this specie? Or no...Bark doesn't wash out?
I hope Im not hijacking this thread.
Thanks, Duck

Latest posts

Back