Paph. violascens versus bougainvilleanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear Robert,
there is a darker brownish stripe in the petals in all clones which I have seen

Best greetings

Olaf

A slight resemblance for me but really are different flowers.

I love the photos, great to see comparisons.

During the 80's, a lot of violescens were being imported as papuanum...I got one of those from Richard Topper, along with a properly labeled violescens. At the time, what was properly considered to be papuanum was labelled as 'zieckianum"...not that it mattered, as they were not being imported anyway. Take care, Eric

Here in Europe was the same. Paph. violascens was in culture as Paph. papuanum and also some hybrids were registred with the parent papuanum, also when the crosses were made with violascens.
We have known zieckianum only from the literature but no plants were in culture.

But nowerdays the true papuanum is in culture and also some of them labeled as zeckianum, but no true zieckianum.

Best greetings

Olaf

We used to have a plant labeled Paph. zieckianum here in the greenhouse, but I think it was short lived. I think it was a hard to grow species in cultivation. I found an old photo of it, Olaf can you confirm that this was the true zieckianum, or is this papuanum?:

Paphzieckianum.jpg

Robert

Dear Robert,
on the base of the picture I would say that it is zieckianum.
But I am not sure if it would be better classiffied as a variety of papuanum.

Have you perhaps also a picture of the whole plant or from side.

Best greetings

Olaf

Olaf,

unfortunately this is the only picture we have of it, and I think the plant is dead now.

Robert

Dear Eric,
the problem was always that no plants were in culture and so our knowledge based only on the original description and a bad picture.

ZeichnungOriginalbeschreibung.jpg

GrennderungzieckianumTypefront.jpg

The same problem was over a long time with the Paph. papuanum and the mixing with violascens. Nowerdays we know a little bit more about these both species and the differences between are clear.
Let us hope that we will get in the future more information about these species and also about the variability that we can come to a final decision about the status.

Best greetings

Olaf

That zieckianum picture was the one I had seen...it was in Bennett's paph book...papuanum had no picture. Later, when the papuanum's finally turned up in photos, they looked pretty similar...so and I had read in some places that they were conspecific. Thanks olaf! Take care, Eric

We used to have a plant labeled Paph. zieckianum here in the greenhouse, but I think it was short lived. I think it was a hard to grow species in cultivation. I found an old photo of it, Olaf can you confirm that this was the true zieckianum, or is this papuanum?:

Robert

This looks similar to paph wentworthianum, posted in

http://www.orchidspecies.com/paphwentworthianum.htm

Don't you think?

Truemadman

Paph. papuanum and wentworthianum are near related. So wentworthianum was seen also sometimes as a local variety of papuanum.
You can see in the following picture both species together. The upper is Paph. papuanum, the lower Paph. wentworthianum.

514cd0ae.jpg

Best greetings

Olaf

great photos. thank you all for posting. these are some of my absolute favorites

Latest posts

Back