New Paph. monograph published in Marts

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lars Pedersen

Paphiopedilum
By Dr. Guido J. Braem, Dr. Guy Chiron & Sandra L. Öhlund

Paphiopedilum by Braem, Chiron, & Öhlund is the most complete monograph hitherto written about this exhilarating genus of slipper orchids. The extensive text is scientifically correct but written to be accessible to commercial and amateur orchid growers, professional botanists, and just anyone interested in orchids or in beautiful and fascinating flowering plants in general. The book is and completed by 390 illustrations.
Starting with a short preamble and a detailed discussion, the book continues with a general section dealing with the basics of orchids and orchid taxonomy. Thereafter, the genus Paphiopedilum, representing the Asian tropical and subtropical slipper orchids is discussed. The infrageneric divisions of the genus are explained and each and every one of the 95 species of the genus is treated in detail. For each species there is a detailed description and information about its origin, distribution, and etymology. All species are illustrated whereby the great majority of pictures are photographs taken from plants in cultivation and in their natural habitat. Important varieties are also discussed. After the descriptive section, there is a block with identification keys to the various subgenera, sections, and subsections, and finally for each of these, there is a key leading to the species. The book is completed by a list of plant names, a bibliography and a list of illustrations.
Based on the legendary books about the genus published by Prof Braem and his team in 1988, 1998/1999, and 2003, the present monograph is the best ever written on the subject, and will be the standards text for many years to come. The e-Book format was chosen to make the work available on as many systems as possible and allow for its use on modern portable media (tablets and smart-phones) as well as desktop and laptop computers.

790 Pages
390 Color illustrations, many of them in situ pictures.

Is to be released by Moorland eBooks Marts 2014

:)
Lars

Just checked Amazon...it's not available yet. Is it only ebook, or will there be hardcover?

IMO an ebook isn't a book.
I love to feel the paper and to smell the color.
Just the same with Paphs. I don't buy pictures of Paphs for my computer, I own the plants. I like to have my Paphs in person, as I like to have my books in person not virtually.

IMO an ebook isn't a book.
I love to feel the paper and to smell the color.
Just the same with Paphs. I don't buy pictures of Paphs for my computer, I own the plants. I like to have my Paphs in person, as I like to have my books in person not virtually.

A book like this with 800 pages, 400 full page color pictures would be next to impossible for most of us to afford.

You can zoom in on pictures, you can make notes in it, you can search in the book - or on the internet directly from the text, etc. etc.

eBooks are the future.... and a blessing to elder people like many of us, as they are easier for your eyes to read than a paper book. In fact the organizations for elder people recommend eBooks.
And you travel with a whole library in your pocket.

I love paper books too.... in fact I have many meters on the shelves with orchid books.
Some I have both as paper an eBook!

It is two different products that can not be compared.

Buy an iPad a Kindle or a tablet, and get used to these books. You will not regret it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back