My Paph blooms this spring

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelson Wong

Reaction score
I have been growing paphiopedilum towards 4 years now and they are finally rewarding me with larger and consistent flowers. Currently I am using a 3/4 teaspoon 20-20-25 (Schultz) + 2 drops of concentrate 8-14-9 in 1/2 gallon milk jug with 1 water wash per month and it has worked out pretty well. Not signs of root or leaf burn. The main thing I think is that I have too much light, so I am reducing the light intensity by moving the LED 8 inches up to see how the orchid react in the next 3 to 4 months I am still learning more about fertilization concentration and lighting to maximize flower size and colors.

Paph Toni Semple - 17.cm wide petal, 9.2cm wide dorsal. I love how the petal faces up, almost like a meditation, open palm pose.

20240512_113243.jpg

20240512_113406.jpg

Paph Kolopakingii x Wossner Black Wings - 23.5cm wide petal, 10cm wide dorsal. This one isn't perfect. The first flower was pretty, but the subsequent flower's staminode and column are off center. If someone can tell me why that is happen, that could be helpful.

20240512_113530.jpg
20240512_113541.jpg

Paph Caroline Hands. This one is always a mystery to me. It's first bloom in its original growth was in January. All the flowers were small and the staminode and column are off center. The spike died back in March, but immediately in April, it started coming out with a second bloom in it's second growth. I think the light was too strong so the flower stem for the first flower was non-existentt so the flower developed inside the crown and sheath. leading to malformed flower. But the flower is huge almost the size of my fist! But another weird thing happened. another spike is coming from the sheath again? Maybe it is the subsequent flower spike catching up, but the flowers so far, are much smaller. Not sure what is happening, but this one is always a puzzle for me.

20240512_113747.jpg20240512_113802.jpg
20240512_115906.jpg

Paph Lady Rothchild (Lady Isabel 'Jumbo Lady x Rothschildianum 'New Horizon' FCC/AOS' - This one is about to bloom soon so I am excited to see how this one comes out.

20240512_113850.jpg

Attachments

• 20240512_113859.jpg
    20240512_113859.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Looking really good. The leaves are just a little yellow, so cutting back light just a tiny bit makes sense, but not too much.

The kolo x WBW cross is actually pretty neat. I like the black stripes on the white dorsal.

Looking really good. The leaves are just a little yellow, so cutting back light just a tiny bit makes sense, but not too much.

The kolo x WBW cross is actually pretty neat. I like the black stripes on the white dorsal.
Yea, it was measuring close to 400 ppfd. So I cut back/ dispersing the lighs by lifting 8 inches, it is measuring around 200ppfd now so I will see what happens.

the kolo x WBW is really neat. I am definitely enjoying the black stripes on white dorsal, while it contrast with the green on the pouch and petals.

Do you know what would cause a flower's staminode and column to be off-center?

Yea, it was measuring close to 400 ppfd. So I cut back/ dispersing the lighs by lifting 8 inches, it is measuring around 200ppfd now so I will see what happens.

the kolo x WBW is really neat. I am definitely enjoying the black stripes on white dorsal, while it contrast with the green on the pouch and petals.

Do you know what would cause a flower's staminode and column to be off-center?

I have never seen a multifloral Paph that is 100% symmetrical. All you can do is provide good conditions. Form generally improves as plants mature with succesive bloomings.

Both of my cochlopetalum/multi crosses do the exact same thing throwing multiple spikes at the same time. They both flowered for the first time within a week of each other and I was so baffled by four flower spikes coming out of two plants.

Your Toni Semple is gorgeous by the way!

Both of my cochlopetalum/multi crosses do the exact same thing throwing multiple spikes at the same time. They both flowered for the first time within a week of each other and I was so baffled by four flower spikes coming out of two plants.

Your Toni Semple is gorgeous by the way!
yea.. the multi-cross is all sorts of weird right now. But flowers are always good right?!

oh yea! the toni semple is beautiful! it only has 3 flowers for its first bloom, which is fine. Hopefully next year there will be more. granted, I did just repot it to a bigger pot, so it will be spending more energy on roots :)

I will be posting my Lady Rothschildianum later this week :)

Latest posts

Back