Mastersianum- What Makes Them Difficult??

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, wow~ You are the plant master! :)
I love looking at your plants.

BTW, is this typical size of this species? It is bigger than I thought.

Mike- I think he uses very open mix, but the moss just grows on top of the potting mix rather than being part of the mix inside the pot.
I could be wrong, but that's how I remember about his growing technique.

What are all those paphs underneath your hand? makes me curious.

Mike, he is right, its moss growing on top of a basically bark based mix (the one of Lance Birk) At such low TDS and so moist conditions as I have, the moss comes spontaneously.
The plamnts below my hands are mostly superbiens and braemii with a posibility of some dayanum sneaking in. A bit uncertain of the braemiis since I have not seen them in flower yet.

Think that mastersianums can get quite big. The picture is a bit misleading though, it is a bit smaller than it looks but still pretty big. What I particularly like with this species is the thick, "fleshy" leaves. Never had one in flower but think this one is ready.

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28653&highlight=mastersianum

Ever since I cut the feed way back these have been doing well for me. Back in my high K days they were stumpy slow, disease prone. and short lived (even though I eventually got one to bloom).

I managed to get a compot off of a flasking and got a few to go from flask to bloom in under 3 years with a leaf span about 14 inches.

I haven't been getting much clumping, but consistent new growths after blooming.

Also weird is that every bloom spontaneously produces a viable seed capsule.:confused: So hopefully I'll be getting back some new seedlings to play with.

Here's my two biggest plants. The one on the left is 14" leaf span, and did not bloom this summer. The plant on the right bloomed this summer, and is holding a capsule (that I did not pollinate). They are not holding old post bloom growths, but the plant on the right is just starting a new growth.

They responded nicely to the lemon juice trick as far as greening up goes, so maybe that will improve clumping capability.

This is way off topic, but I'm curious what in lemon juice makes plants greener?

I don't think lemon juice or greening up has anything to do with clumping of plants. I believe it is mostly in the gene. I find some plants clump and others don't no matter what you do.

Latest posts

Back