Last months haul

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked these up last Saturday to wrap up August, from a fellow STer that wasn't too happy with them. All Paphs.

far left- Mt. Toro (stonei '#2' x philippinense '44')
top black pot- Saint Swithin (rothschildianum x philippinense)
right green and clear pot- Angel Hair (Saint Swithin 'Hsinying' x sanderianum '#7')

The Angel Hair was sold to me as a 2-growth plant, but was 2 plants upon repot.
A little stressed, but discounted.

Close-up of native predator.

LOVE the predator pic!
Also like the crosses but the St. Swithin would concern me.
It appears all were repotted, how were the roots?

Yes Clark, I would remove as much of the sunburned areas as possible. It could turn to rot if not watched carefully.

Nice buys!!!! I love the pred pic too!!! What would cause this tips go dark??? Lack of light?? TY

Rose- the Saint Swithin was in the poorest condition. Previous to the photo, I trimmed 6 large leaves that were total black (would not fall of on their own, and I really mean they were black all the way to the base). Yes, all got repot ASAP.
The SS and Angel Hair arrived in s/h. Roots on the SS were awful. Lots of icky stuff to get rid of. I expect this plant to come blazing back next year after some dryer culture (new roots are showing near the base, ready to go).
The rest of the dark leaf stuff I'll trim in about 2wks, I would like to monitor it, see the rate of discoloration.
Angel Hair I feel was also drowning in s/h, but not that bad.
This was my first exposure to s/h and promptly kicked it to the curb. Not for my Paphs.
Mt. Toro- best condition of that group. Grown in a bark based mixed, it too was way too wet. The mix was spent, repotted in same container.
New mix, no watering for a week, lots of misting so leaves won't dry out, some KLN, and time.
I am going to label this whole problem-over hydration.

Dot, the Prayng Mantis, are everywhere in the yard. The day I took the photos, there were no less than 7 full grown (over 6 inches) Mantis in the yard (our lot is 50 x100ft.). The photo you see is from the tomato pot area. In 1/2 hour, 3 Mantis caught and consumed 4 bees. There are no bees on that side of the house now. Our bees are extremely territorial and there is zero activity near the tomatoes. The previous week, Mantis were in the Lobelia and crocosmia. The bees never go there. I am still debating coincidental or were they purposefully targeting the hummingbirds??? It is not unheard of, and I have seen photos.

I'll post some more pics of the mantis later today.

The Praying Mantises (thanks for the plural form Eric), will always lay eggs within the Maiden Grass. When I cut them down in March, I'll break away the nests and put them in the flower pots mounted on shed. Four nests last year, but I think only two hatched. Here is a link that briefly describes lifecycle---
http://www.earthsbirthday.org/PDF/LifeCycle.pdf

This is last spring, didn't get to see them hatch this year. Extremely vulnerable at this point.
babymantis011.jpg

Back to this year tomato area.
mantisandbee037.jpg

Anybody know what this free rider is???

Phragmipedium Peruflora’s Cirila Alca (Phragmipedium kovachii X Phragmipedium D’alessandroi)
These were 2-3 1/8 inch across.

:clap: Auction Plants from Bullsie:
Back right-Eric Young
Back middle-Sorcerers Apprentice 4N
Bonus Plants:
Back left-Glowing Embers (Jason Fischer 'Red Flare' x longifolium 'Wanunakee')
Front right-Bright Spot (Memoria Dick Clements 4N x Phrag. Twilight #4 4N)
Front left-Don Wimber (Eric Young 'Rocket Fire' 4N x besseae 'Cow Hollow II' FCC/AOS)

New Grow Area-no new plants in here.

Bonus photo: Two American icons are simultaneously crossing another, can you name the water?

I don't know the water, but that picture of the mantis looking at me is fantastic!

I know it says 'Spring 2009', but for $2 a pack.

From Deep Cut's event-
Bletilla striata-(28in from grade, I measured):eek:
Masd. Celtic Frost (Angel Frost 'Orange Parfait' HCC/AOS x glandulosa 'Nemo') -Back left
Masd. Marguerite (infracta x veitchiana) -Back right
Masd. discoidea -Front right

From fellow STers- Thanks guys!
Left- Sarracenia leucophylla 3 divisions by fbrem(Forrest). The green ones.

Right-Phrag. Mini Grande multi growth division by paphreek(Ross).
The seedling in the center is Paph fowliei x godefroyae var. leucochilum. A gift from Ross.

Back