kovachii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It worked.

Yes, it worked for me too. The picture appeared right away, no problem. Thanks.

Thanks John C for sharing. That's a really nice, flat kovachii. Well done!

Angela, I've seen you comment about this before. I know what you mean; but, lot of Phrags have relatively insignificant dorsal sepals. It's just one part of what makes a Phrag look like a Phrag. However, for you to be able to enjoy Phrags, without feeling a bit disappointed, it's important to remember and keep in mind that they are not Paphs. We see a lot of Paphs, species and hybrids, with awesome, huge, dorsal sepals. No Phrag will ever look like that. Of course, both are slipper orchids; so, in that sense they are lumped together. But, they really are quite different in many ways, not just dorsal size. If you try to keep the two genera more separated in your mind, you may not find yourself being disappointed with the smaller dorsals of Phrags. Just don't keep thinking of the size of Phrag dorsals as a fault (because for Phrags, the dorsals are right-sized) and you'll slowly come around to being able to enjoy their full beauty too. :)

I think it's gorgeous. As far as the dorsal, I think diversity among species is OK. :)

I wasn't really a big fan of these guys when they were just discovered. The flowers on the jungle plants were a little too floppy for me. But this is gorgeous!

Yes, Mr. John, I will try to rethink. It's not just the size though. It's
the color and the size...it seems disproportionate to the rest of the flower.
However, I can reconsider. The side view is very impressive and the dorsal
not so noticeable. If I saw one in person, I might not even notice the
dorsal at all! The color is spectacular.

A couple observations on seeing kovachii in person.
--they are all over the map. We have bloomed some pale ones and some very dark but very small ones
--in our experience the color is more purple/plum than most photos show.
Seeing this one in person was a treat. But as is the fate of all excellent flowers at OZ, we will rip it to pieces on Tuesday to make hybrids and sibs.

Angela, I have seen photos of kovachii that have a stunted dorsal......some are even browning along the edges; but, the rest of the flower is fine. I am with you on those Pk's. I don't like them. However, as long as the dorsal is as it should be, I'm okay with the proportions. To me, it's not the dorsal that is small on Pk, it's the petals that are too big; but, who wants to get rid of those big petals? Not me. They, and the overall large size and nice colour is what makes Pk so different from anything else. Remember, before Pk came along, there was a LOT of grumbling among orchid growers because they were getting bored with the same old orange/red besseae hybrids. I'm sure that as time marches on we will see larger, more colourful dorsal sepals on Pk, as breeders select for that. Look at the changes made to besseae over the years in terms of petal width. So, if you're patient, you may get your prefered large dorsal on a Pk.

Latest posts

Back