Hello from Le Far West!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello fellow members of slipper talk.

I have for some time enjoyed reading as many posts as I find interesting which is quite a few as of late. I have been growing orchids since 1970 which I dare say is some time ago. I have so many fond memories of driving from Portland, Oregon and visiting the Orchid Nurseries in Washington State such as Orchids Limited and The Beall Orchid Company with my dear friend Aileen Staley. It is amazing how many of us Orchid Growers go full circle as far as what we started growing and where we end up if left to our own devices. I now swoon over dendrobiums of all kinds. I started growing all the usual suspects and now I like DENDROBIUMS? Wow!

Growing Orchids is a journey and one should enjoy the many turns along the way.

I am now a commercial enterprise and love growing and breeding Complex Paphiopedilums, Miltoniopsis and Masdevallias. This most likely gives me away!

Love being a part of a group what loves their orchids!

Theresa Hill
Hillsview Gardens

Hi Theresa, and welcome to the group.

Thanks for jarring my memory with your mention of Orchids Limited and the Beall Co. I also visited both in the 70's before they found the route of the dodo bird. Beall's on Vashon was always a fascinating place to visit and Frank Shride and Gary Baker were so involved with their breeding programs.

I have about 100 mature plants of miltoniopsis seedlings from your listing from a few years ago. Have you made any more recent crosses? I'll never forget your Gold Medal exhibit a few years back that I helped to judge. Amazing!

Bill Z.

Welcome Theresa!

I think I have a couple of complex paphs that originated from Hillsview, via Kimberly in Winnipeg. 'Magic Mountain' is in bud and should open very soon.

:clap: :clap: Welcome! We look forward to your experience, nice job with Hillsview!

Hello and welcome Theresa!!!!! I would be grateful if you could post some pics...:D

Hi Theresa, and welcome to the group.

Thanks for jarring my memory with your mention of Orchids Limited and the Beall Co. I also visited both in the 70's before they found the route of the dodo bird. Beall's on Vashon was always a fascinating place to visit and Frank Shride and Gary Baker were so involved with their breeding programs.

I have about 100 mature plants of miltoniopsis seedlings from your listing from a few years ago. Have you made any more recent crosses? I'll never forget your Gold Medal exhibit a few years back that I helped to judge. Amazing!

Bill Z.

Hi Bill,

Will and I spent the day putting up foam curtains against the back wall of the Paph greenhouse to winterize. Just in time! The weather here is cold and snowing! Nothing to do except work on the photographs taken yesterday at the greenhouse, I will post them later today.

I have new Miltoniopsis crosses going to the lab this year and look forward to offering new crosses in the near future.

Stay warm!

Theresa.

Hi Theresa,
a hearty welcome to Slippertalk from Germany. Enjoy your stay here the same way as we do.
Best regards from Germany, rudolf

Welcome Theresa!

I think I have a couple of complex paphs that originated from Hillsview, via Kimberly in Winnipeg. 'Magic Mountain' is in bud and should open very soon.

Hi Joanne,

The Magic Mountains have been huge flowers, and very nice!

I have a number in spike now. The season has been about 30 days late this year and as such we hope to have the season extended by about the same number of days. It is always interesting to me how much the seasons change from year to year.

Theresa.

Hi Theresa

Welcome aboard. Glad to have you here. The Paph. Magic Mountain that I bought from you at the International Slipper Symposium in late Oct. has just opened its flower. As promised I'll send you a photo once I'm sure it is opened all the way. The second Paph. Magic Mountain that I bought at the auction had a low sheath and I'm sorry to say didn't make it. I may have to wait a couple of years for another full size growth before I see a flower on that one.

Hi Theresa

Welcome aboard. Glad to have you here. The Paph. Magic Mountain that I bought from you at the International Slipper Symposium in late Oct. has just opened its flower. As promised I'll send you a photo once I'm sure it is opened all the way. The second Paph. Magic Mountain that I bought at the auction had a low sheath and I'm sorry to say didn't make it. I may have to wait a couple of years for another full size growth before I see a flower on that one.

Thanks Bob,

Sorry to hear about the lost bud. I look forward to the photo of the one that made it. I have several in spike at this time. Selected a few last season. They are so huge, hope they breed.

It's freezing here with ice and snow. We are home today and looks like we will be for several days!

Theresa.

Back