Growing Paphs/Phrags in SEMI-HYDROPONIC culture

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I moved on

I also tried S/H for nearly every kind of orchids for two years, even vandas. I found that some do like it and others do not, and we can never tell which one. I still have a large Phrag. Inti's Tears in S/H. There're so many roots in the pot that I would need a crane to lift it out. Many plants did well but I got tired of trying to clean the algea developping in the transparent pots. And I hated it when a pot tipped over with all the pellets spraying out. My cats loved it when it happened but not me. Then if you've got a bunch of plants in S/H, another bunch in sphagnum moss, and a third one in a bark mix, tree fern mix or on plaques, the whole thing becomes very hard to manage, feed correctly and so on. I also had a phrag that loved S/H so much that it grew at least three times more roots than leaves. Now roots are fine, but I prefer flowers. These days, I use a mix of tree fern, bark, charcoal and sphagnum moss for everything not mounted, and I modify the content of the mix according to the water needs of the plants and how often I like to water.
And it's working very fine for me. There's one problem left: what to do with all the hydro pots I bought in the beginning? :confused:

Well I did S/H longer then most. About 5 or 6 years to be exact. Things were great for me at first. I grow in a greenhouse and had problems once the algae started to grow in the pots and moss to grow over the tops of the pots. The last two year saw lots of death and many growing very slowly. I just repotted around 1,000 plants out of it and back into a bark mix. All I can say is go slowly and be ready to switch if the time ever arises.

More holes

You can drill holes in the bottom of the pots to create drainage.

I use a hot nail to make holes in the bottom, but it will take awhile before I reuse them all. And many of my plants are too big to fit anyway. I found however that drilling holes in plastic may end in weakening fractures.

Shiva, what we did is buy a cheap soldering iron from a craft shop. We always pushed it threw all the way past the pointed tip, so the barrel went in. At one point the tip broke off and that was even better. Just be sure to do it outside or at the very least in a place with lots of ventilation and a fan blowing the fumes away from you. We use the garage most of the time.

We heat up one of the metal spike supports (or a coat hanger) on the gas stove then poke away.

-Ernie

If you want to drill and do so cleanly, buy a "Unibit". The tip cuts plastic without cracking it, and you can choose from several sizes of hole without changing.

962152_lg.gif

Fumes' all right

Thank you everyone for your input. Next time I get in town I'll get a soldering iron for sure. As for the plastic fumes, I don't mind them too much. They remind me of the time, long ago, when I glued model ships and airplanes together. Boy!, that too was a great hobby. :D

If you want to drill and do so cleanly, buy a "Unibit". The tip cuts plastic without cracking it, and you can choose from several sizes of hole without changing.

962152_lg.gif
Thanks, Ray. I wasn't familiar with this drill bit. I'll look for one.

Latest posts

Back