Cyp. japonicum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenman

Reaction score
First to blooom for me this year at 40ºN in central Ohio. I've had it a few years and so far bloomed each year. Flower almost 4" across on a 10" tall plant. Grown in a plastic pot sunk into a raised bed outside, beside the greenhouse.

japonicumfull0224.jpegjaponicumclose0224.jpeg

Does anybody have any experience with green podding Cyp. japonicum. Specifically I would like to know how many days after pollination should you attempt to plate the seed. Presently, I have around 80 flowers of Cyp. formosanum that I have pollinated with the idea of harvesting the seed after 90 DAP. I am thinking that since 90 DAP works best for formosanum based upon the literature that the same DAP might also work for the closely related japonicum. However, I would feel more comfortable is someone has actual data on the best DAP to harvest the seed of japonicum for green pod culture. I have one japonicum in bud now. PS- the enclosed photo of japonicum seems a little different in the coloration of the lip. In mine the reddish color is more spread out--- maybe just geographic variation.

Does anybody have any experience with green podding Cyp. japonicum. Specifically I would like to know how many days after pollination should you attempt to plate the seed. Presently, I have around 80 flowers of Cyp. formosanum that I have pollinated with the idea of harvesting the seed after 90 DAP. I am thinking that since 90 DAP works best for formosanum based upon the literature that the same DAP might also work for the closely related japonicum. However, I would feel more comfortable is someone has actual data on the best DAP to harvest the seed of japonicum for green pod culture. I have one japonicum in bud now. PS- the enclosed photo of japonicum seems a little different in the coloration of the lip. In mine the reddish color is more spread out--- maybe just geographic variation.
I would say that seems about right. I don’t know specifically for japonicum, but that’s roughly when we do kentuckiense

I would note that your japonicum is what I call "the Chinese japonicum." Your variety has a bright white base to the lip and bright "lipstick" around the opening. Most Japanese japonicum have a greenish base. It's not the white sepals and petals of formosanum. I had this variety from a Chinese import about 30 years ago. It bloomed regularly and multiplied for about 5 years. Alas it perished in a couple of years of neglect. I have obtained japonicum from Hengduan Mountain Biotechnology Ltd. which appears to be the classic Japanese form. Perhaps there are regional forms. Still — very beautiful and well grown.

Attachments

• japbloom.jpg
    japbloom.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 1
I would note that your japonicum is what I call "the Chinese japonicum." Your variety has a bright white base to the lip and bright "lipstick" around the opening. Most Japanese japonicum have a greenish base. It's not the white sepals and petals of formosanum. I had this variety from a Chinese import about 30 years ago. It bloomed regularly and multiplied for about 5 years. Alas it perished in a couple of years of neglect. I have obtained japonicum from Hengduan Mountain Biotechnology Ltd. which appears to be the classic Japanese form. Perhaps there are regional forms. Still — very beautiful and well grown.
Thanks. The flower in your pic seems identical to mine.

Latest posts

Back