Cyp acule (southern most site at low elevation?)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
These were in bloom 2 weeks ago. Probably last day(s) since we’re starting summer hot weather. Located between the log flume (operating) and river rafting (will be operating in several weeks) rides at King’s Dominion at Doswell VA. Sorry for poor pics as taken while on log flume. Wondering in the microclimate from evaporative cooling from the water rides allows this population to persist?

Attachments

• IMG_3617.jpeg
    IMG_3617.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3616.jpeg
    IMG_3616.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 1
C. acaule seems to handle heat pretty well and even has some tolerance for dry woodlands.

I have first hand knowledge of several scattered populations of C. acaule around the Raleigh NC area, some quite large. Some are in somewhat close proximity to bodies of water, but I've seen them scattered through dry wooded areas and even making gains into people's yards. Raleigh is perhaps slightly higher elevation than Doswell VA from what I'm seeing online, but there's probably not much appreciable difference in the climate, aside from central NC's slightly warmer winters (now considered zone 8a).

I've been told that they're actually a little more common in the sandhills region of North Carolina, which is the eastern part of the state before you get to the coast, than they are here in the piedmont.

Latest posts

Back