C. Frans Hais (4N) (C. Horace Maxima (4N) x C. Winter Giant (4N))

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to ask you when yours had recently bloomed and here it is. What is the horizontal spread of the biggest flower? A huge plant, again with a challenging repotting coming up. I think your and my flowers are very similar. Extremely round and closed with Horace really coming through in the shape.

Love those overlapping petals, almost a full circle! Another beautifully grown plant, that thing is a beast! Congrats!

I was going to ask you when yours had recently bloomed and here it is. What is the horizontal spread of the biggest flower? A huge plant, again with a challenging repotting coming up. I think your and my flowers are very similar. Extremely round and closed with Horace really coming through in the shape.
Not huge. The largest flower has a 13cm NS. Lots of recurve in the petals which takes away from the spread. When I see new roots, I’ll divide and repot. Here is a photo of a previous bloom, I think it had a better shape. IMG_8276.jpeg

Not huge. The largest flower has a 13cm NS. Lots of recurve in the petals which takes away from the spread. When I see new roots, I’ll divide and repot. Here is a photo of a previous bloom, I think it had a better shape. View attachment 42934
The posterior reflexing definitely reduces the measured horizontal NS. The flower has good substance and clearly looks tetraploid. I think Leslie’s comment “super trianae” makes sense. I keep Frans Hais for this reason.

The posterior reflexing definitely reduces the measured horizontal NS. The flower has good substance and clearly looks tetraploid. I think Leslie’s comment “super trianae” makes sense. I keep Frans Hais for this reason.
I really like the flower’s shape and substance. I’ll keep it. If it doesn’t survive my repot (I have to divide it) I’ll beg you for a future division of yours.
Last summer I obsessed about hydrangeas after having attended the Cape Cod Hydrangea Festival in July. Came home and for 2 months kept the orchids growing, but did no repotting since I was focused on the outside garden adding hydrangeas to every available space. It’s done now, thankfully, so the price I paid with my orchids is due in full. What was I thinking?? It’s called denial, like somehow they would just stop growing!?!

Last edited:
I really like the flower’s shape and substance. I’ll keep it. If it doesn’t survive my repot (I have to divide it) I’ll beg you for a future division of yours.
Last summer I obsessed about hydrangeas after having attended the Cape Cod Hydrangea Festival in July. Came home and for 2 months kept the orchids growing, but did no repotting since I was focused on the outside garden adding hydrangeas to every available space. It’s done now, thankfully, so the price I paid with my orchids is due in full. What was I thinking?? It’s called denial, like somehow they would just stop growing!?!
I understand about the Hydrangeas!

On hydrangeas ( but nothing on the more unusual ones like aspera):

Probably because they are not very showy, so not that popular. Have you seen the cascading hydrangea ‘Fairytrail Bride’? It is stunning but only hardy to zone 7 so not reliably hardy here. Best show is in a large pot, but has to overwinter in a garage or cold frame. Here is mine this spring. It was a new plant so about twice as wide and pendulous now.

Attachments

• IMG_1495.jpeg
    IMG_1495.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 70689578171__11132FC2-EBA5-43D6-ACDF-74163E50208D.jpeg
    70689578171__11132FC2-EBA5-43D6-ACDF-74163E50208D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back